Dropped Third Strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2013
I coach in a 12U multi-community rec league. At today's league meeting some of the other coaches wanted to not use the dropped third strike rule. How do I convince the other coaches to keep this rule in the game? I believe it would be a great disservice to the girls to not teach them the appropriate rules of the game. The rule was used over the past few years in the league but now we apparently have some "just have fun" coaches that are not interested in proper coaching. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
You have a responsibility to teach the kids the game; period. Part of the game is playing by the rules of the game and teaching them the rules...rules are not part time; they're full time. When you modify the game (in all honesty to make life easier for you) you are doing the kids an injustice by limiting their development. The parents paid money for their kids to play softball...not softball with modified rules; give them what they signed up for. Tell the other jabronies wanting to change the rules that you all have this responsibility and the kids & parents trust you will teach them the full game. So do it, there should be no discussion.

If that fails....Look at your full schedule and end of year tournaments. Check to see if you travel to other towns/leagues and see what rule they play by. Check to see if you have any tournaments (All-Stars) and see what rule those tournaments and/or All-Stars will be using. Try and make sure your league is prepared for the games ahead. There is nothing more embarrasing to the kids than to find themselves playing against a team/town that knows the rules....your kids will be unprepared and lost. What do you say to the kids and parents at that point?

Jun 22, 2008
Going thru a similar situation in the league I am helping coach a team with. They have decided the easiest way to come up with a mandatory play rule is to just bat the entire bench. Coaches in this league are learning just as much as the kids are, and batting the entire bench does nothing to teach a coach how to manage a lineup card let alone how to use his subs to his advantage in different situations. It also eliminates any possible use of courtesy runners.

It also brings up the situation we had at our first game. We had 10 girls, but one of them had to leave about 45 minutes into the game. Since the league has forced us to bat the entire bench, because one of our players left early we were forced to take an out the first time her batting position was left open. And wouldnt you know it, her at bat came up with bases loaded and 2 outs. I am not a fan of league modified rules. Play by the major association rules and leave it at that.

459'smom

Eat sleep& breathe sofbal
Feb 25, 2013
Actually, we just changed leagues due to this in part. In 10u last year our board decided to have pitchers pitch up to 4 balls and then the coach would come in and pitch which resulted in NO WALKS!! This was my DD's first year to pitch, and I was dead set against it. Unfortunately, it was also the presidents DD's first year to pitch and they weren't/aren't near as dedicated as we were/are. Add in 2 other new 10u board member parents who wanted their DD's to have an opportunity to hit every time and one "play for fun" board member and I was way outnumbered!!!

You should fight to play by the rules; otherwise, as mentioned above, someone its going to have a seriously confused team/group of patents if they get to move on past regular league play........and you know what confused parents means.....TROUBLE!!!

Going thru a similar situation in the league I am helping coach a team with. They have decided the easiest way to come up with a mandatory play rule is to just bat the entire bench. Coaches in this league are learning just as much as the kids are, and batting the entire bench does nothing to teach a coach how to manage a lineup card let alone how to use his subs to his advantage in different situations. It also eliminates any possible use of courtesy runners.

It also brings up the situation we had at our first game. We had 10 girls, but one of them had to leave about 45 minutes into the game. Since the league has forced us to bat the entire bench, because one of our players left early we were forced to take an out the first time her batting position was left open. And wouldnt you know it, her at bat came up with bases loaded and 2 outs. I am not a fan of league modified rules. Play by the major association rules and leave it at that.

This should be an obvious wake up call. I would strongly suggest approaching the board and asking to get a rule change. Our rec league just re wrote the by laws, a little project I took on after getting total screwed at last years draft. When this topic came up we chose to stick with the "2+1 rule" 2 innings of defense and 1 at bat. If for some reason the player does not meet this requirement, then the following game that player is required to start and stay in the line up until they have met the 2+1 rule in that game, I think this is very fair for a rec league situation. What major association are you playing with since the rule is more inclusive and not less you should be OK but if you take things to far and a district manager from PONY, Dixie, Little League or whatever you are playing might kindly remind you that you need to stick to the rules or your charter could be revoked for the following year because it gives those organizations a bad name since you are nt playing by their rules.

To OP definitely make sure they understand the ramification for out of league play and post season play it is just a mess to try and unlearn things you have been doing wrong all season.

Nov 29, 2009
There is only one way to cure all the ills that have been posted here. Leave rec ball. If you're interested in watching the girls develop to the best of their ability move them to travel ball where they can learn how to play the game "for fun" while learning how to play it correctly.

There are too many parents who want to make things too easy on their kids. Sports is a great way to learn how to deal with adversity and the dedication it takes to succeed.

Jun 22, 2008
I have umpired in this league for years. They initially had basically the LL play rules, which is 3 consecutive outs and 1 at bat. The penalty for not fulfilling all players minimum play was game forfiet. Apparently some parents felt their children were not getting sufficient playing time, so they came up with bat the bench, like that would ensure the players ever got on the field defensively. Instead coaches just keep the poor defensive players on the bench and only bat them. As I said, I have seen the league from the umpires perspective for the last 5-6 years. Now that I am helping out as an assistant coach I am taking additional notes and will be having some discussions with the board after the season. Their batting the bench and arbitrary out penalty if a player has to leave is overly harsh and after that experience we will just tell any player in the future that cant be there for teh entire game to not bother coming.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I have umpired in this league for years. They initially had basically the LL play rules, which is 3 consecutive outs and 1 at bat. The penalty for not fulfilling all players minimum play was game forfiet. Apparently some parents felt their children were not getting sufficient playing time, so they came up with bat the bench, like that would ensure the players ever got on the field defensively. Instead coaches just keep the poor defensive players on the bench and only bat them. As I said, I have seen the league from the umpires perspective for the last 5-6 years. Now that I am helping out as an assistant coach I am taking additional notes and will be having some discussions with the board after the season. Their batting the bench and arbitrary out penalty if a player has to leave is overly harsh and after that experience we will just tell any player in the future that cant be there for teh entire game to not bother coming.

So what happens when a player is hurt and cannot continue? The only thing special about special rules are the additional special rules you have to make up for the failure of the original special rules to accomplish their intended purpose.

Jun 22, 2008
So what happens when a player is hurt and cannot continue? The only thing special about special rules are the additional special rules you have to make up for the failure of the original special rules to accomplish their intended purpose.

If the player is legitimately hurt then you dont have to take the out the first time they are due up. Believe me, everyone seems to understand how stupid the rule is other than the league board.

Dec 7, 2011
I second the comments made by TJ then Sparky:

If it is truly a rec league and the league NEVER advances to other tournaments where the girls could get shocked by the application of the full rules then I feel the rec league is doing what those folks want (majority rule) and so be it. Also if it's a tight little rec league and it promotes more kids getting into the sport (to eventually graduate to TB) then I say great - let them define no-K's for all I care. But this all gets determined by that league.

So if you were like me & DD and felt incredibly limited by what rec/LL offers then like Sparky dude says => Go find a Travel Ball team to get a more true & committed experience.

It is a shame though when some communities never develop good pitchers/catchers for their high schools,... further promoting the mediocre play that exists there.... (this should be one of the arguments within the rec league decision process)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321