Dropped third strike delimma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Surprisingly they are usually pretty good at getting girls out stealing. Earlier in the game, girl was on 3rd, off the base, catcher throws to 3B and runner takes off, 3B throws back to catcher and makes the tag. In another inning, picked a girl off at 1st. Got another 2 girls out at second. Timing was good on the throw to 3rd but it was just off a little. So it could have ended with a better outcome ;) We'd still be having the discussion about getting the easy out at 1st though but the coach understood why she made the decision to throw..

Jun 11, 2013
If the PU is making slow calls it would be have been better to tag the batter if the pitch was close even if you wind up giving up 3rd. I remember some really bad strike calls in our rec days so to say she should have caught it seems a little unfair. I've seen pitches that hit the plate or at the batters eyes. so it doesn't sound like it was a pitch an inch off the inside corner. Based on how you described it, I would say it wasn't a bad play on her part if she felt it was a ball. It's a great learning experience to show her how she needs to think before the pitch about what to do.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Tagging the batter is always the safest bet. I cannot tell you how many times I have watched a catcher throw down to 1B on a DTS while the batter is still standing in the box...if tagging the batter is not an option, throwing to 1B for the out is your second best choice, regardless of where the lead runner is located. Only exception would be a base runner on 3B who is coming down the line.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How to handle these situations comes from experience and good coaching guidance. Young catchers will make mistakes - it's a necessary part of the learning process. Good young catchers learn quickly from those mistakes.

Feb 27, 2017
I'm afraid your real issue isn't with the ump but with a catcher who didn't catch a called third strike, and then doesn't know it was in the strike zone until the ump says so.

I was thinking the same thing, why is she dropping anything around the plate? regardless of the call? if its close and she drops with 2 strikes she should at least tag her.

Feb 27, 2017
I will say the ump's strike zone was all over the place as well - sometimes there's no way to tell what will be a strike or not. Yes, ideally she should have known.

In the end, our team won and this scenario may never come up again but just curious what the correct play was - so she'll know the best thing to do next time.

Even watching the game we couldn't hear him calling strikes and there were times where we all thought it was a ball or strike, but it'd go the other way. I know it's something kids should get used to and know better but at their age, it's not always that simple.

I would teach her to catch the ball!!! then all is a fixed!!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I was thinking the same thing, why is she dropping anything around the plate? regardless of the call? if its close and she drops with 2 strikes she should at least tag her.

Because she's young and still has much to learn is probably the biggest reason. Drops happen.

Jun 11, 2013
everyone says just catch the ball, but how many strikes have you witnessed at lower levels called that bounce. I've seen them hit the plate and get called strikes. The OP doesn't say it, but I'm guessing it's not PGF 18U premier being played here. Give the kid a break.

Jun 8, 2016
Question about how to play this...

Girl on 2nd, 2 outs
Count is 1-2
Next pitch is a called strike but dropped so either need to tag or throw to first
Ump is super slow/quiet about calling his strikes so it's not super clear that it was a strike.
Runner on 2nd runs to third and catcher throws to 3rd to try to get her out.
Unfortunately throw is a little off, gets away from 3B and runner comes home
Batter makes it to 2nd...

So if the catcher cannot hear the strike call, and thinks it a ball, what should she do?
Ideally the throw to 3rd could have been better but unless she makes the out at 3rd, you still have a runner on first...

If the kid at the plate isn't running always tag her. You see this all the time in MLB, especially with checked swings. Guy checks a swing, catcher tags hitter on dropped ball, home plate umpire appeals. If the kid runs
to 1st play is at first.

Aug 12, 2014
everyone says just catch the ball, but how many strikes have you witnessed at lower levels called that bounce. I've seen them hit the plate and get called strikes. The OP doesn't say it, but I'm guessing it's not PGF 18U premier being played here. Give the kid a break.

No kidding. Players make errors, and umpires have inconsistent strikezones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles