Drop rate between Freshman year of school and travel ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Been talking to a dad with a Jr pitcher who also plays on a top TB team. The team isn't performing well with inexperienced players. The kid is down on herself and is talking about just quitting altogether. I suggested that she need to look at this season as a warmup for summer ball. To add to it, her fall was a disaster with regards to recruiting. She got injured early in the fall and couldn't play therefore the coaches' interest seemed to dry up. Mentally it's tough on her. But, that's the way it goes everywhere! Coaches will be looking for pitchers the moment you quit. Ever see this meme.
View attachment 25253

Totally.

Middle School and High School are times to play with schoolmates and try to win for the school. And if that isn't possible, work on your game.

Oct 4, 2018
That is normal. The number of 14U teams is two or three times as the number of 16U teams.

Kids have a limited amount of time, and they have to decide what they are going to do. All the extra-curricular activities are much more demanding, so they just don't have time.

Also, the kids start figuring out where they fit in the softball pecking order.

Yup.

Our High School has many players who quit Travel Ball due to the demands but love playing for the school every year for a few months. I'm glad they have that opportunity.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Yup.

Our High School has many players who quit Travel Ball due to the demands but love playing for the school every year for a few months. I'm glad they have that opportunity.
Of the 5 seniors on our current Varsity HS roster, only 1 is still playing travel ball (our starting CF). 2 are battling injuries and underclassmen are playing their positions. 1 is our starting SS and is just an athlete. 1 other lost her position to a Freshman that plays on a national-level travel team. I think our seniors are mostly just out there to have fun in what, I think, will be their last go-round playing organized, competitive softball. HS ball certainly can be challenging--and has been so far for my DD's Sophomore season--but am glad it is there. It is less crazy and in some ways more fun than the travel ball grind, which will be an insane 6-week sprint as soon as the HS season ends.

Jun 27, 2021
HS ball from what I've seen just in our area is peaks and valleys. Right now for the last 5 years (including covid) we've had talent coming through in abundance. So much that kids have opted out of playing HS to focus on travel, meaning they are backups. In a few years they will be in the valley as the talent that left won't be there to pickup and the those left are not up to playing at the the level it is now.

Side note, tonight there will be another SEC school at a HS game to watch a nice pitching battle of two single A schools. If you can play, they will come see you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi