Drop rate between Freshman year of school and travel ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
Wanted to see what other travel ball coaches are seeing between the transition of first year of school ball to travel ball in summer. Here in KS we are just wrapping up tryouts, and first couple weeks of practices for school ball. Already I am hearing stories from players on our travel team not happy with school ball and telling me they are not sure how much longer their DD will continue playing school/future travel outside of summer commitment. Hearing about players transitioning to roles needed by the school teams (which was expected and discussed before school ball). So curious what other TB coaches see. Im seeing the TB studs killing it and making varsity squads as fresh and those that have attitudes, talk back and dont hustle (but have the physical skills) being moved around. That same group is generally the ones that dont have good feedback from school ball.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
High School ball is its own soap opera.

Tough Dilemma to sort through because high schools have so much varying Talent levels and reasons how coaches facilitate the teams.
~ Play everybody or only play to win or no freshman on Varsity. Or the Freshman beat out the seniors and some people think seniors should always play no matter what. Push and shove of who thinks who should play where and who doesn't want to be flexible and who will be. And in high school parents can be a lot more influential with their complaining / feedback. All that sort of hoopla with a mixture of a lot of Ages on the same team environment that they weren't used to having that mixture previously in travel ball or elsewhere.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Been talking to a dad with a Jr pitcher who also plays on a top TB team. The team isn't performing well with inexperienced players. The kid is down on herself and is talking about just quitting altogether. I suggested that she need to look at this season as a warmup for summer ball. To add to it, her fall was a disaster with regards to recruiting. She got injured early in the fall and couldn't play therefore the coaches' interest seemed to dry up. Mentally it's tough on her. But, that's the way it goes everywhere! Coaches will be looking for pitchers the moment you quit. Ever see this meme.
1648046356257.png

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Been talking to a dad with a Jr pitcher who also plays on a top TB team. The team isn't performing well with inexperienced players. The kid is down on herself and is talking about just quitting altogether. I suggested that she need to look at this season as a warmup for summer ball. To add to it, her fall was a disaster with regards to recruiting. She got injured early in the fall and couldn't play therefore the coaches' interest seemed to dry up. Mentally it's tough on her. But, that's the way it goes everywhere! Coaches will be looking for pitchers the moment you quit. Ever see this meme.
View attachment 25253
This is what good TB players do. You can't control your teammates effort or execution in HS but you can use 5-6 days a week to get better at YOUR skills.

Also to those players complaining about being moved positions. In HS you might have to play somewhere else. We had a D1 STUD outfielder who was our shortstop one year....because she was the best player for that position out of the players available. We could have used her in the OF...but she was more valuable at SS.

Aug 15, 2021
The transition from Travel to school has been strange for my DD (probably more for me). She is a good pitcher, but didn't make varsity. What troubles me is that there is a gap between varsity and JV practices (different coach). JV only practices about 2-3 times a week and varsity is 5 days except for game days. JV plays fewer games overall, about 1 or 2 games a week. She played quite a bit more in travel, so she has to put in more individual work outside of that. The strangest part is around playing time. We have about 5 or 6 girls on JV that are good and 2-3 of those are very good, and they end up run ruling most teams. My DD is P1, but her time in the circle has been limited lately because she is too effective and the coach wants to make games more "interesting". As soon as we finish HS ball we go directly into high level tournaments and qualifiers. She is not getting challenged enough to grow during this period. The good thing is that she seems to be having a decent time and gets to play other positions that she likes.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is what good TB players do. You can't control your teammates effort or execution in HS but you can use 5-6 days a week to get better at YOUR skills.

Also to those players complaining about being moved positions. In HS you might have to play somewhere else. We had a D1 STUD outfielder who was our shortstop one year....because she was the best player for that position out of the players available. We could have used her in the OF...but she was more valuable at SS.
DD's first position is C. In college this year, she has played almost every inning at 3rd. Last year played 1st, SS, 3rd and C. You gotta be able to play where the team needs you the most. TB--the coach recruits players for specific positions and plugs secondary positions. If players don't like what they are getting, they hop teams.

Jun 8, 2016
DD's first position is C. In college this year, she has played almost every inning at 3rd. Last year played 1st, SS, 3rd and C. You gotta be able to play where the team needs you the most. TB--the coach recruits players for specific positions and plugs secondary positions. If players don't like what they are getting, they hop teams.
If you can play C and SS you can learn to play anywhere (outside of P) adequately with a few weeks of everyday practice.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Already I am hearing stories from players on our travel team not happy with school ball and telling me they are not sure how much longer their DD will continue playing school/future travel outside of summer commitment.
That is normal. The number of 14U teams is two or three times as the number of 16U teams.

Kids have a limited amount of time, and they have to decide what they are going to do. All the extra-curricular activities are much more demanding, so they just don't have time.

Also, the kids start figuring out where they fit in the softball pecking order.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Also, the kids start figuring out where they fit in the softball pecking order.
Such a good point and no matter how things are structured/ facilitated there will still be a social pecking order.