Drop Ball Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you throw a ball with the same spin as a fastball, then the pitch is simply a low fastball.

The movement of a pitch is measured relative to the P's fastball. The movement is based on the rotational axis of the ball and the speed of rotation. (The exceptions are knuckle balls and finger pressure movement pitches.)

That is, a ball with 12-6 spin thrown with 25RPS will break more than a ball with 12-6 spin with 15RPS. Or, a ball with 12-6 spin thrown at 15 RPS will break down more than a ball thrown with 10-4 rotation and 15RPS.

The trick to throwing a real drop ball is to pronate the arm as quickly as possible during the release phase of the pitch. This means (1) delaying the start of pronation as long as possible and (2) completing the forearm pronation as quickly as possible.

This, obviously, makes the forearm spin faster than usual. The spin is then imparted to the ball.

NOTE:

In actual use, "pitches" are used in combination. During a game, pitches are relative. P's don't get points for throwing a pitch that breaks 6 inches.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Most likely your 12-6 fastball axis has a slight tilt where you side the right side of the ball. Making it more 7-1. I get dyslexic with the numbers but I also am trying to be consistent with the pitchtracker ball I use. They refer to it as 6:00 =(6-12 or 12-6 however you want to view it) or 7:00 =(7-1, or 1-7).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi