Drop Ball Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
Thank you Bill for this. I was actually going to go on youtube to see if you had any instructional videos on how to throw a drop ball. Trying to get my DD (9yr old) to start learning this pitch. Glad to hear that it's actually a simple pitch, made complex.

Just one question though, does the grip matter? I have read you can place your pointer and middle finger together for more spin?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I still maintain that 99.99999% of people who claim to throw a turn over drop actually peel it off their fingers, then make the unnecessary movements of acting like they do this "turn over" thing afterwards. Once again proving my point that the simplicity of the drop is what makes it work, not some pull up action (as if starting a lawnmower) or a turn over action. 99% of pitchers who throw a turn over drop are told to do a significantly shorter step when they pitch. All this action does is alters the release point and angle which helps it drop. Personally, I don't think anyone needs to step short in order to teach themselves where to let the ball go. Why alter my mechanics? Just release it sooner! One of the problems is: the word "peel" in PEEL DROP makes people think they need to do that pull up motion. It's another fallacy perpetrated by the Pitching Coach Mafia.... which is a criminal organization and needs to be locked up under the federal RICO laws!!!!

Bill
I think that is 100% correct. As I mentioned in my previous post I believe the "turnover" actually unconsciously just makes you release it earlier and you wind up with the drop pitch as you describe. Even though the player (and coach) think they are doing something quite different.

May 9, 2019
I think that is 100% correct. As I mentioned in my previous post I believe the "turnover" actually unconsciously just makes you release it earlier and you wind up with the drop pitch as you describe. Even though the player (and coach) think they are doing something quite different.

So basically, a dropball is a low fastball?

Oct 4, 2018
What is the difference between how she throws her drop and how she throws her fastball? What kind of spin does her fastball have?

In the times I've clocked her, the dropball is either the same or 1 mph slower than her fastball. Spin is similar, pretty much 12-6.

Jul 14, 2018
DD's dropball spin is similar to her fastball (mostly 12-6), but the spin rate is higher according to her RevFire.

Interestingly, she has added a few mph after a summer of strength and conditioning work, but her dropball seems to have disappeared. It simply does not drop any more. I like what @Hillhouse had to say about the grip tricks being a release-point control, I'll have DD try releasing early and see if any of that downward action returns.

Aug 21, 2008
Thank you Bill for this. I was actually going to go on youtube to see if you had any instructional videos on how to throw a drop ball. Trying to get my DD (9yr old) to start learning this pitch. Glad to hear that it's actually a simple pitch, made complex.

Just one question though, does the grip matter? I have read you can place your pointer and middle finger together for more spin?

Hum, I'm going to send you a PM too. But I don't think the middle finger adds spin like you're thinking. What really adds spin is the whip action of the elbow. This will incorporate the elbow wrist and FINGERS in the pitch giving it maximum spin. The fingers can only do so much without help from the kinetic chain.

Bill

Sep 19, 2018
Bill,
I am also confused on the earlier release point as well. My DD's is a Righty. Her PC has her shoulders back. she calls it staying or pitching from your back. When she does that, she gets slight tail into a Righty. unfortunately more tail on outside pitches than inside. At times my DD gets 'lazy' and shoulders are forward (not hunched over). When this happens she gets real good 11-5 drop. The 'placement' of the shoulders is the only thing I can see (my untrained eye) that is different. Same grip, same spin IIRC.

If the initial trajectory is the same, how is the release point is different?

Thanks for all your contributions to the site.
CMN

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole