Drills: Dropping Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2009
What instruction/drills/cues do you use to help girls learn not to drop their hands when they initiate their swing?

I put a second tee a foot behind and slightly higher than the one the girls were hitting off of. That tee didn't have a good day.

Oct 14, 2008
Matrix. A variation of the drill is pitcher catcher and contact. Simply put going to weight shift toe touch walking away from hands the knob of the bat should be pointing at the catcher, after heel plant take the swing to lag with the knob of the bat pointing to pitcher. Without dropping the hands. Then using proper turn and tilt and rotation and bat angle taking the bat to contact.

The drill is done in super slo mode just as the matrix to feel each movement.

Tim

Oct 19, 2009
I like the Matrix drill to fix a lot of problems including the problem of dropping the hands. Usually the kids doing this have been doing it for a while and it is not an easy fix. I have them stand in front of a mirror so they can see what they are doing as many do not realize they are doing it. I explain that to hit the good pitchers any motion in the swing that is not directed toward to the ball takes away from your power and quickness to the ball, result advantage to the pitcher.

I tell them to think front elbow, knob and barrel. You want to think of the hands coming down like an airplane landing not like a helicopter or a fast adult rollercoaster not a slow kids rollercoaster.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
If the girls have a proper sequence they will not drop their hands. IMO the cue "don't drop your hands" or "keep your hands up" is wrecking havoc with the sequence and actually causing kids to drop their hands at swing initiation.

IMO the absolute easiest way to solve the issue of kids dropping their hands at swing initiation, is to let the kids drop their hands...cock their hands...as they cock their hips. The hand cock is a natural movement that keeps the hands in sync with the lower body when the hips are cocked. The hand cock is what allows the stretch part of the sequence to happen naturally. If you eliminate the hand cock then you need to come up with drills to teach the kids how to perform the stretch part of the sequence unnaturally.

142yq9.gif

Ignore the green arrow.
Eithier_FE.gif

The hand cock takes on a different appearance depending on the batting stance handset. IOW, there are different hand cock styles. IMO one of the worst things you can do is tell a kid to keep their hands up; which is the same thing as telling them to keep their hands still; when they perform their hip cock.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I like taking the instructo swing and use the high tee. Your bat will bounce off the bar if you dont keep your hands up.

SL

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If the girls have a proper sequence they will not drop their hands. IMO the cue "don't drop your hands" or "keep your hands up" is wrecking havoc with the sequence and actually causing kids to drop their hands at swing initiation.

IMO the absolute easiest way to solve the issue of kids dropping their hands at swing initiation, is to let the kids drop their hands...cock their hands...as they cock their hips. The hand cock is a natural movement that keeps the hands in sync with the lower body when the hips are cocked. The hand cock is what allows the stretch part of the sequence to happen naturally. If you eliminate the hand cock then you need to come up with drills to teach the kids how to perform the stretch part of the sequence unnaturally.

142yq9.gif

Ignore the green arrow.
Eithier_FE.gif

The hand cock takes on a different appearance depending on the batting stance handset. IOW, there are different hand cock styles. IMO one of the worst things you can do is tell a kid to keep their hands up; which is the same thing as telling them to keep their hands still; when they perform their hip cock.

Agree that the issue of dropping the hands at swing initiation is generally the result of an improper sequence.

You mentioned about allowing hitters to drop their hands ... and I agree with that as well ... I even teach it with hitters that experience timing related issues in their loading pattern. To clarify, you meant as in a 'hitch' ... on their way to launch ... and it generally leads to a well timed "up & IN" action ... I want that well-timed "up & IN".

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Agree that the issue of dropping the hands at swing initiation is generally the result of an improper sequence.

You mentioned about allowing hitters to drop their hands ... and I agree with that as well ... I even teach it with hitters that experience timing related issues in their loading pattern. To clarify, you meant as in a 'hitch' ... on their way to launch ... and it generally leads to a well timed "up & IN" action ... I want that well-timed "up & IN".

When I played many years ago it was called a hitch. At one point in his book, Williams refers to it as a hitch. In at least two other areas he refers to it as a hand cock. I can remember my dad...as if it were yesterday...telling me "you have a hitch in your switch".

I'm not sure that the term hitch is the best way to describe it, because in some handsets; like Eithier and Kent, it doesn't look to me like a hitch. I think most kids will figure out what style works best for them...so long as they are given the freedom to experiment.

My rule of thumb is: drop hands during the hip cock; good....drop hands during swing initiation; bad.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SBF, IMO, 1-on-1 instruction works well for young hitters ... as well as for older hitters. I believe Wellphyt's point is that instructors should think twice before removing a 'hitch' from a hitter's movement pattern ... and he's suggesting that such a movement pattern can be exploited to encourage the "hips forward / hands loading rearward" type action. My experience is that he's correct.

The action is similar to the BHUT move that Donny promoted. I believe I've posted that in the past using slow-motion video clips ... perhaps that might be easier to follow. In any event, IMO anyway, Wellphyt is making a decent point and it's worthy of digging into for those not familiar with what he is describing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi