drag and hand activation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

T

theaddition

swing for conversion

I have a clip of some bat drag in a swing from this weekend.
If anyone (that means you FFS) wants to GIF it, I'll email it to you.

BD

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
redzuk: I will PM you on the string. We are finding the grip is very important with the female player. Why using a hammer is so important, because girls have to be shown how to use the wrists correctly. Boys grew up chopping down trees and using a hammer. Most girls have never used a lever. The saran wrap was a test after H got a call from Don Slaught and Sue Enquist about a test at UCLA on bat speed. It was on grip. They also used a tube sock.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SBF ... the grip, or actually angle between the wrists, is important IMO.

Tend to promote an orientation that ends up having the door knuckles of the top hand roughly aligned with where the wedding ring would be on the bottom hand.

Any reason not to share your thoughts on the topic in a post?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
It is where the bat sets in the top hand, which is more important than where the knuckles line up. I agree they move as Enquist and Slaught found out and create more bat speed. This they found out in the lab. It is roughly 2% to 4% based on computer studies. Females do not know how to hold a hammer/bat in most cases. Males know how to use a hammer. Females don't. Watch them try to drive a nail. You must teach this trait. What we do is Tie a string on the first finger of the top hand. Now keep the bat below the string out of the meaty part between the thumb and first finger. You will find most females hold the bat wrong. I worked with a student that is a power hitter last night. This was the first thing I fixed , after she had played travel ball most of her life. They can see , hear and feel the power difference. Little test. Have them go to contact and stop the bat with both grips. Take one finger and push back on the bat. They and you will fell the difference. Keep in mind if you teach females, they do not want you to tell them, but show them. My wife has been a teacher for 38 years. I have picked up many skills from her. Teaching kids how to hit is not easy. You must keep it simple and terms they can understand.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2009
Failed to move the lower body???

I certainly hope no one here is advocating that. To the contrary ..... I think most people understand the importance of following a proper kinetic sequence.

I'd like to believe that we all understand the importance of the "lower body running start" ... on every pitch ... whether you swing or not ... whether you 'use' your 'hands' or not.

No not advocating but that is what the kid in the video did, making sure we all agree on that. Turning the barrel wont help if they are out of sequence. I've been basing most my comments off that kids form so we are all on the same page.

Thanks for the boardmember post. Its a good visual reference.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It is where the bat sets in the top hand, which is more important than where the knuckles line up. I agree they move as Enquist and Slaught found out and create more bat speed. This they found out in the lab. It is roughly 2% to 4% based on computer studies. Females do not know how to hold a hammer/bat in most cases. Males know how to use a hammer. Females don't. Watch them try to drive a nail. You must teach this trait. What we do is Tie a string on the first finger of the top hand. Now keep the bat below the string out of the meaty part between the thumb and first finger. You will find most females hold the bat wrong. I worked with a student that is a power hitter last night. This was the first thing I fixed , after she had played travel ball most of her life. They can see , hear and feel the power difference. Little test. Have them go to contact and stop the bat with both grips. Take one finger and push back on the bat. They and you will fell the difference. Keep in mind if you teach females, they do not want you to tell them, but show them. My wife has been a teacher for 38 years. I have picked up many skills from her. Teaching kids how to hit is not easy. You must keep it simple and terms they can understand.

SBF ... thought I'd throw out a few hand/bat positions I collected at one point and see if one of these comes close to what you believe is best.

PoorBatPosition.jpg

FairBatPosition.jpg

GoodBatPosition.jpg

ProBatPosition.jpg

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Good post. Now all we have to do is relate that last picture and how we teach it. The string idea forces them to grip the bat correctly. Same idea when you shell out money for Turbo Slot batting Gloves. Found the string a little cheaper and easier to get across to a young lady. They all seem to have a pony tail holder and that is what I use in most cases. Take that first picture and try to use a hammer with that grip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp