Double bat ruling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
The basic ruling (as I understand) of double bat is the batter will out if they hit the pitched ball two times in the batter's box (correct me if it's untrue).

I have this situation... It's no strike. My player had bunt the ball and throw his bat in the infield area (a few feet from home plate). The ball rolled slowly and hit the bat which is already (in stationary position) on the ground. Is this situation considered as double bat?

In another situation, how about if the player throw his bat and then hit the stationary ball on the ground?

Jul 26, 2010
In ASA rules (24B):

If the bat is out of the batter's hands, dropped, or thrown, and it hits the ball a second time in fair territory, the ball is dead and the batter-runner is out. HOWEVER, if the BALL hits the bat on the ground, then the batter-runner is not out and umpire must determine if the ball is fair or foul using the normal rules. If the ball rolls against the bat and remains fair, the ball is live and play continues as normal.

It is actually under the "Hitting the ball a second time" rule, but it's really an addendum to the interference rule.

-W

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
If the bat hits the ball a second time while in the batters hand and the batter is still in the batters box, it is a dead ball and the batter is not out, unless it is intentional. If the ball hits the bat in the batters hand and the batter has one foot out of the batters box, batter is out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06