Door open or shut?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
And now DD has run into conflict with pitching.

One says "shut the door" the other says don't worry about the door because it doesn't leave you in a position to be ready to defend.

One is the paid PC that we've been with since DD started pitching. The other is the new teams PC. Both pitches in college.

Opinions please.

Jun 24, 2013
I am not sure that they are both are not saying the same thing in a different way.

Your DD’s hip is going to close after she releases the ball, if you are lucky it should just happen naturally.

Jul 31, 2011
I agree, it sounds like they might be saying the same thing. Conflicts between PCs and well meaning spectators/parents/other pitchers/coaches are a constant nuisance. The concept of "too many cooks in the soup" is a source of frustration for these young athletes...and the source of some crazy pitching styles. She will need you to help her decide who to listen to and who to politely ignore.

Feb 19, 2009
And now DD has run into conflict with pitching.

One says "shut the door" the other says don't worry about the door because it doesn't leave you in a position to be ready to defend.

One is the paid PC that we've been with since DD started pitching. The other is the new teams PC. Both pitches in college.

Opinions please.

If a team or private PC said this to me or my dd I would ask if he/she meant "shut the door" all the way (completely facing home) or part way and whether this is done after she finishes her arm circle or as she's completing the arm circle. The method of completely closing while at the bottom of the arm circle (ie- arm and hips closing at same time) is widely discredited. The fact that both PC's pitched in college doesn't carry much sway, many college pitchers where taught and competed with some success using outdated and discredited pitching mechanics, particularly if they played in the 80's or even the 90's.

Also, the pitcher doesn't have the luxury of getting into the "ready" position before the ball is pitched like every other player on the field. Executing the pitch properly is a much higher priority then being able to defend afterwards.

May 17, 2012
I never got into the "door shutting" conversation as it's a no teach for me. If you are releasing at 45 degrees the ball is long gone before the door shuts.

You will finish hips closed but you have also taken a step with your right foot in order to be in a defensive position.

Now if you are talking about being closed at release, that makes my shoulder hurt just thinking about it.

Aug 21, 2008
The only time I've heard "shut the door" is when someone is teaching the pitcher to bring the Hip and hand through at the same time. Pitching AROUND the hips, not through the hips. This usually coincides with a Hello Elbow type pitcher, but not always. I don't want to paint with broad brush here. My question is: when does she want the "door to close" before, during, or after the ball is released?

Bill

Oct 22, 2009
I've heard, "Slam the Door" a lot around here and it's common in step style instructors. Most of the instructors are generally confused over why they ask the pitcher to do this, some say it's to get into a defensive position and others say it's to add speed to the pitch.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
It is very possible they are teaching the same just saying it different. Both PC finish their pitch the same.
It is also possible that I have some misinterpretation going on.

I have spent 2 hours looking at vid of DD pitching, past and current. I see improvement in her forward drive but still have some work.

Thank you all for your input.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
The only time I've heard "shut the door" is when someone is teaching the pitcher to bring the Hip and hand through at the same time. Pitching AROUND the hips, not through the hips. This usually coincides with a Hello Elbow type pitcher, but not always. I don't want to paint with broad brush here. My question is: when does she want the "door to close" before, during, or after the ball is released?

Bill

Bill do you know of any good or i/r pc in souther ohio area

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd