Don't be that parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Would it be ok if it was the centerfielders dad was positioning her because the travel coach doesn't know the scouting report on the upcoming batters? Imagine every player on the field ran out to talk to their parent between innings for advice on their mechanics or tips to succeed. That would probably be the best team ever. I would definitely want those kids if I was a college coach. Geez. Parents can coach their kids. But the game is only 2 hours. They can coach them all they want outside the game. It won't be the end of the world if they wait to talk to them after the game. If all these awesome bucket dads did their job so well they wouldn't have to go through every little possible mechanic issue between every inning.

Dec 13, 2014
Plus , you are playing at least 5 games and are there all weekend. I think there would be plenty of time to go over things. Also my DS played HS golf and it is a great lesson in biting your tongue and letting your kid play. And like golf , you make your corrections on the practice range not during the round.

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
just read this entire thread and wow many good points both sides. it also struck home for me as I'm in the middle of this type situation. DD and i found a great "fit" he is member here and teaches IR and well respected as a PC in our area. Now lets talk HS ball, coach brought on former player to help this yr. Pitched in HS and some college pitching. First day wants DD to push down and finish HE. DD handled it well and explained that isn't how PC teaches, coach doesn't like it but backed off some with little smart rear comments. According to some in this thread she should listen to the coach and do exactly what that coach at that time wants, AINT HAPPENING. I will correct if she asks and encourage to fight that coach tooth and nail when pitching mechanics are the topic. that coach can call pitches, recommend who pitches and who doesn't pitch to the head coach and aint none of my business. But if she asks me for help on a pitching issue I will help in the stands or at dugout, for the reasons A. I know more on that subject than the coach in regards to proper mechs. B. I know DD far better than her from the bucket time alone. So for the coaches who lay down the blanket rule no talking to parents you could be hurting your team when a parent could mention a small reminder and the pitcher goes from mediocre to lights out. Now if DD were to play college ball she will have to adjust to that teams PC and what they want since she is being paid to play via the scholarship. it will be for DD to work out without the parents help. In TB or HS and they have a PC that is in tune with PC I watch eat popcorn and enjoy a day of teams play ball. As someone said there are a lot of places to draw the line in the sand should have added that there are a lot of beaches with parents, players, coaches and skills or lack of skills. This can make anyone "That ____" depending which beach on which coast your on at that point in her journey of softball pitching.

Dec 20, 2012
Would it be ok if it was the centerfielders dad was positioning her because the travel coach doesn't know the scouting report on the upcoming batters? Imagine every player on the field ran out to talk to their parent between innings for advice on their mechanics or tips to succeed. That would probably be the best team ever. I would definitely want those kids if I was a college coach. Geez. Parents can coach their kids. But the game is only 2 hours. They can coach them all they want outside the game. It won't be the end of the world if they wait to talk to them after the game. If all these awesome bucket dads did their job so well they wouldn't have to go through every little possible mechanic issue between every inning.

There is a big difference with general knowledge such as defensive schemes, player positioning,.... and pitching mechanics. Trying to position a player is so much different than getting a mechanical adjustment between innings. You have no idea the pitches being called, if you are shifting a cf to the left because the batter pulls the ball and the coach is calling everything out in the river then you are not doing anyone a bit of good. These are coaching decisions that are made not mechanical adjustments. Now if the dad says "hey you are taking two steps forward on all fly balls, you need to take two back" that would be similar. And if the coach hasn't caught that the kid is doing so then maybe it should be brought to her attention by dad.

Dec 20, 2012

Second, what is your occupation?? Because I am positive you have made mistakes and probably on a daily basis. If these bucket dads were as effective as you believe they should be then every college pitching coach would be out of a job and would be replaced with bucket dads. How many trips does a HC make out to their pitchers in a game? If it is more than ZERO then they are not doing their job, according to your logic. Hell, after every pitch a batter will look to third base coach for instruction. They should have this down by now, why do they need somebody telling them what to do after EVERY pitch. Hacks!!!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Frankly, in HS ball and TB, I've always gotten a kick out of it when I hear the stories of someone coach/helper marching up to an IR-style pitcher early after tryouts are over, or even during tryouts, givings instructions on how to "fix" their problems. It's like they are thinking, "What the hell is this kid doing?! Boy, I'd better get THAT (IR) fixed (converted to HE) soon." It's even funnier when some parent of some other player walks up to the pitcher's parent and tells them what they should do to "fix" their daughter's pitching problem (IR).

Hopefully, the IR pitchers have more than one option in terms of which college they choose to play for, one that has a pitching coach in harmony with the IR stuff we speak of here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1