Does your coach have open practices?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
One of the biggest gripes of parents when it comes to HS coaches is fairness and playing time. With the exepction of buttheads who pick on individuals or have it in for specific individuals, most coaches come to practices and games with the best interests of the kids and the team in mind. Not many HS coaches I know do it for the money, which is paltry at best.

Having said that, does your coach encourage you to come and watch practices? No reflection on anyone's personal situation, but I always strongly encouraged my HS player's parents to come to practice and arranged times that were practical for them to be present. When they do, they may see their "good" players standing around picking their rears, not practicing hard, watching the boys practice, needing constant supervision and otherwise not cooperating with the coaches effort to improve the team. I will play a mediocre player who practices hard and listens to the coach over a more talented player who does not. You can imagine this is not very popular with the parents who just show up to the games and cannot understand why their "more" talented daughters are not getting the playing time that they deserve. Talent alone is not a reason to get on the field ahead of your teammates. If your coach allows open practices, I strongly encourage that you attend and if you have questions about what is being taught, approach him/her away from the team and players and ask objective questions. If the coach is worth his/her salt, they will be more than willing to meet with you and give you feedback that is honest, helpful, and constructive. If you gain their respect, they will be very willing to listen to you and may enjoy and adopt your suggestions.

Oct 19, 2009
Personally I prefer the parents be at practice. Sometimes I even put them to work.

I get a warm fuzzy feeling in my belly when one of the parents hollers at dd for not hustling or paying attention. Tells me we're on the same page and makes my job easier because I already know what will be talked about in the car ride home.

As far as playing time? It must be earned. Every year I have a parent / team meeting before our first practice and explain this along with all expectations for the season. Get very few confrontations that way.

Feb 8, 2009
My experience with school coaches is that they don't allow parents to watch practice. The high school coach in our community will usually choose one parent each year as an ally. The rest are kept at arms length. I think they let the one parent stay around so they know what is being said outside the fence. That one parent is always one of the stars parents. As a coach, all of my practices are open. I have nothing to hide. Parents can ask me about anything I do.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
A few of us 'crazy' dads are always there. Great times and good conversation. I'm trying to get the coach to allow beer and burgers at practice. No luck yet!!

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
A few of us 'crazy' dads are always there. Great times and good conversation. I'm trying to get the coach to allow beer and burgers at practice. No luck yet!!

UfDa, Crazy parents liquored up! My worse nightmare! JK ;>) I love it when parents show up to a practice. I used to be one of those crazy guys. After the practice I knew what my kid had to work on to improve. Then we would go on own in the back yard and practice (I have a three acre lot). When someone would bitch about their junior sitting on the bench it was usually those who just showed up to games and had no idea where their kid's skill level stacked up against the competition.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I never trusted the coaches alone around my kids. (Isn't that a sad commentary of the times we live in?) I wasn't at every practice after age 14, but no one ever knew when I might be around.

Since I coach, it was not unusual for me to pick that time to clean the concession stand, etc. Also, if I had driven the kids a long way to practice, I just stayed.

I must say, though, that was pre-cell phone day and back when practice was a couple of hours.

There always seemed to be many kids that had no one looking out for them, though.

With the schools getting worse, in my opinion, I am wanting to home school the new grandbaby. Two Tucson teachers were just arrested this year for fondling a student.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
After the practice I knew what my kid had to work on to improve. Then we would go on own in the back yard and practice (I have a three acre lot). When someone would bitch about their junior sitting on the bench it was usually those who just showed up to games and had no idea where their kid's skill level stacked up against the competition.

Agreed, I use HS practice as the same tool to go home and tweak what's needed. Nothing irritates me more than to hear parents complaining about playtime.........and then they don't even work with their own kids at home. No wonder they are on the bottom of the food chain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish