Does this seem right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I recently took over our organizations 18U A showcase team (1 week ago). I have experience coaching, built good relationship with local D1-D3 coaches and have the time to dedicate to the girls. What doesn't seem right is the following. The former Manager's DD is the #1 pitcher, she's good and has an older sister who pitches D2. The former Manager has not paid a penny in tuition and made it known at a board meeting that if you are a pitcher you normally don't pay to play. I understand this if you're elite but she in my opinion is not elite, i consider elite to be simply un-hittable and i've seen her taken yard plenty. So i ask.

1. Is it customary for good (lower D2 quality) pitchers to play for free?

2. The Manager's DD to play for free?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Jan 25, 2011
If all the other girls pay. She needs to pay too. What about the best hitter on the team? Why should she pay if she is driving all the runs in. What about the catcher? A good catcher makes some pitcher look a lot better and also a catcher works their butts off back there. Just to many what ifs.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2009
I would think it's reasonable to say the managers kid plays for free. Esp at that age if not getting a salary.

I'm not saying it's right or common, but yes, a top or sometimes much needed pitcher may play for free if that's what they negotiated. It's really about supply and demand.

Ask yourself what does the team need more? The pitcher or her fees?

Just for reference, our teams pitchers all pay. When we played for teams when the coaches had kids on the team, those kids paid too. But I wouldn't think it was unreasonable of there were adjusted fees for the managers or coaches kids.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
No it's not right. But if you think it is reasonable. Then Announce it and hold open tryouts for pitchers I think you might find a better #1 who wants to play for free somewhere.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
What was the reason for the former manager leaving? I would think that "under new management" team fees would have to be paid. I agree that if HC/AC has DD's on the team the fees are reduced just because they are spending their own time helping coach, if not full price even pitchers!!!!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
When a players registers at the NCAA Clearing House they are asked a series of questions to determine if they were a "paid" player. I suggest that you get hold of the compliance folks at NCAA and ask them some "hypothetical" questions. IMHO I would say that anyone who is playing on other players dime, especially due to their elite status is risking their NCAA eligibility.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
As the head coach of an 18u travel team, I have a full time job,
And I spend 30 hrs a week as a HC (volunteer). I have a DD on the team
Who is not a pitcher. I expect to pay full pull on my daughters fees.
What premadonna parent would think they are above anyone else on the "team"? really?!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
The other manager isn't completely gone. I took the manager role while he's still a coach. He doesn't believe she should have to pay but also didn't collect much from the others which is why I took over. He was going to get forcefully removed in a matter of weeks. I am the AC of our 12U team and my DD is a catcher and I pay, fundraise, buy my own coaches shirts and hat, pay some more, work team events and whatever else is asked.

Basically this guy said at a board meeting that good pitchers don't pay, but I had a coach tonight tell me that she knows the girl and she's low low low D2 to mid D3 talent.

I just wasn't sure if a top D3 type pitcher plays for free everywhere or just in my little area. She isn't much better than my #2 IMO and the #2 is a better kid TEAM wise. Please continue the feedback on if less than elite talent at any position plays for free. I'm guessing there are plenty of D3 girls looking for a #1 position that would pay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog