Does this exist everywhere? Am i crazy to think they should be removed? Am i wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I personally like the chants/cheering but have always told the players to keep it positive (Other pet peeves are kicking the dugout fence or screaming as the pitcher is in her wind-up, big no-no's in my book).

With that said, the cheering keeps them in the game while we are on offense, bonding with fellow teammates, and they have a good time coming up with different cheers.

For example, DD's current 12U team made up an elaborate pregame cheer including dance steps and all. This game of softball is suppose to be fun right?

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
I am also not a fan of any cheer directed at the other team or individual players on the other team. In my opinion, all cheers should be positive and directed at encouraging members of your own team. As coaches of youth players, we have the responsibility to team them how to play with sportsmanship and respect. Like others, I try to ignore it when the other team does it and encourage my players to do the same, and I wouldn't be supportive of parents of our players personally attacking the team doing it. But I also will not tolerate my players doing it back in retaliation. My teams will always play with class and respect, or they won't play for me.

Jquick ... while I understand your being upset with the way the other team acted, I would encourage you to take a step back and reflect on whether there are some things your own team can do to lessen the chance you'll run into this again.

Just my opinion ...

Perfectly said....I am not a fan of the cheers, especially aimed at the pitcher, etc. Same as if there is a fly ball by the dugout and girls bang on the fence yelling "miss it!". Cheer for the girls on your team and that is as far as it should go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45