Does heavyer mean slower? No Not Girls!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2012
I hear a lot of people say to use a heavy bat to slow down a hitter who is always swings early. T/F?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I disagree with that line of thought. The problem isn't that the swing is too fast. It's that it's too early. Those are two different problems. You keep using a bat that's too heavy and you'll train yourself to have a slow swing, which will hurt you down the road.

Better to learn to start later and maintain a quick swing. For example, if the hitter always starts her load when the pitcher's hand is over her head, and she is early, try waiting until the pitcher is at 9:00, or maybe even at release depending on how early the hitter had been, before starting the load. Put the focus on getting the front foot down at the right time - which varies with each pitcher and hitter - and the swing will be on time.

Jun 18, 2013
I explained the reverse to one of my kids this way. If you keep lightening and shortening the bat to catch up to faster pitching then you will end up swinging a twig. There is always a faster pitcher so you may as well fix the underlying swing issue.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jovet218