Does an ounce and an inch make that much of a difference???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Im going to get flamed but I feel theres a good difference in the quality of bat when comparing a FS1 to a new Xeno.

I agree there is a big difference. The pop off of the bat with the Xeno is huge compared to the 2013 FS1 - although we did discover towards the end of summer ball that the FS1 had a problem and had to send it in for warranty replacement. The really weird thing with the replacement 2014 FS1 (33/23) was that it weighed 24.5 ounces. The 2015 Xeno 33/24 weighed 24.1 on the same scale.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Yes, but you can stay with the bat you have. No rush--I watch a lot of college and I would say most have 23s-24s; keep in mind we are not a softball mecca here, but we do have at least five D1s within driving distance. If money is no issue, I have hitters in HS with two bats, one for slower pitching and one for faster pitching. And sometimes a bat that is longer (2" if you jump right away) just makes you uncomfortable at the plate for a bit, as you have to back away to get the barrel over the plate.

Isn't money always an issue when you have a DD in travel ball??? We don't have an extra $300 to throw at a new bat unless it is a huge issue...

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Does this coach even know what bats weigh and that sticker weight isn't real weight most of the time. That your 24oz bat is probably very close to his "must" have 25oz?
Is he going to give you your money back if you buy a 25oz (which will weigh over that) and she doesn't like it or it hinders her hitting?

I would def swing one first before buying, since you already have a good bat that she is hitting well and likes

Last edited:

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
In my area, I'm actually seeing a trend going the other way. I've seen more girls going to a lighter bat. Those that were swinging -9 or -8 telephone poles are now going for a balanced -10 and some of the girls swinging -10s are going to a -11.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Force = Mass x Acceleration therefore, if your DD does not loose any bat speed when she swings, the heavier bat should provide additional force. I would suggest measuring her bat speed and ball exit speed with both bats to see how they compare. I would also be careful that you do not assume that being a "cage hitting phenom" with a bigger/heavier bat will translate into more power against live pitching.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Force = Mass x Acceleration therefore, if your DD does not loose any bat speed when she swings, the heavier bat should provide additional force. I would suggest measuring her bat speed and ball exit speed with both bats to see how they compare. I would also be careful that you do not assume that being a "cage hitting phenom" with a bigger/heavier bat will translate into more power against live pitching.
I don't have a radar to measure any of that. And I agree with the cage vs live hitting - I have seen many a batter hit totally different vs live pitchers. Bottom line is that she loves her bat enough that she forked out the money for it (and at 15 that is a lot of manual labor that she had to do to earn it). So after looking at all of the posts I told her love the bat that she has, learn to swing it well, continue to get stronger and see what happens...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
See if one of your pitchers parents have a radar gun you can borrow, her hitting instructor may have access to one. If you do decide to buy the bigger/heavier bat - DO NOT pay $300! Send a PM to Coresoftball20 and he will hook you up!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles