Does an ounce and an inch make that much of a difference???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
When DD broke her maroon 2013 legit 33/24, she started using a loaner 34/25 of the same model. I eventually bought her a 33/24 Sick thinking the coach's friend would want the 34/25 back, but that college girl prefers a drop 8 and didn't need the 9 back. (Coach may have fixed her up with a trade...) Anyhow, DD's never really used the 33/24 Sick I bought or the 2-piece 33/24 Legit she got at the start of last season. She's only 14 and 5'5", but it looks like she's going to stick with a one-piece 34/25.

She didn't have her bats at her last hitting lesson and ended up using a 34" Xeno that was very heavy. Drop 8? Hit pretty well, but got under more of them than usual. From what I can tell every time she's moved up in length and/or weight, an extra inch or ounce does make a difference. There's always an adjustment period and it's longer when you move up in both at once, IMO.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Tell your instructor to buy one so you can try it out...see how quick he is to shell out that kind of money. As somebody said in this thread, easy to spend other people's money.

Again, be advised, the 25oz will be between a half and full ounce over that. Too many people look at that sticker and think that's what the bat weighs.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
See if one of your pitchers parents have a radar gun you can borrow, her hitting instructor may have access to one. If you do decide to buy the bigger/heavier bat - DO NOT pay $300! Send a PM to Coresoftball20 and he will hook you up!

I will try that. And I know about CoreSoftball20 - he sold my DD her current bat at a KILLER DEAL!!!! :D

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I don't know any players going lighter as they get older, so please don't spread that stuff.

The -11 bats break at a high rate, and I would not put those in the hands of some of the stronger teens in some of the changing weather we have, across 70+ games or more, and even more if you add practice, a year. You are just asking for a disaster. Do they even make those at the longer lengths?

The longest Xeno with a -11 drop is the 33/22

Dec 19, 2012
I wish all bat manufacturers listed swing weight over actual weight. Swing weight is much more important to a hitter.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I don't know any players going lighter as they get older, so please don't spread that stuff.

The -11 bats break at a high rate, and I would not put those in the hands of some of the stronger teens in some of the changing weather we have, across 70+ games or more, and even more if you add practice, a year. You are just asking for a disaster. Do they even make those at the longer lengths?

What I have seen is as an adjustment not progression in weight. Obviously if you can swing a 25oz bat with power then that would be the logical choice. However a lot of girls cannot but fell into that bigger is better trap early on and never realized that a bigger/heavier bat was a hindrance for them.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
My daughter has went back. She was swinging a CF6 Insane 32/23 and has dropped to yes a cheap Vendeta 33/22. She was doing fine with the end loaded bat before she went to China for a month then came back chipping and dropping bat under the zone with lots of drag. We bought the Vendeta last year to use for the team with some of the smaller 12U girls moving up that did not have a semi quality bat. She picked it and started crushing the ball again. She will go back up again but right now she is enjoying the lighter bat until she works out her bad habits in her swing. I think it is more mental than physical on her reason of changing. We have 4 indoor batting practices and 2 with hitting coach in next 2 weeks so we shall see what the future holds.

Apr 23, 2012
My suggestion is you buy the 34/25 xeno in last years model for half the price and use it at home and lessons until she's comfortable with it. Then purchase a new one when the 2016's come out.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
My suggestion is you buy the 34/25 xeno in last years model for half the price and use it at home and lessons until she's comfortable with it. Then purchase a new one when the 2016's come out.

That is a great plan were it not for the less than one month old 2015 LS Xeno 33/24 that she just bought...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles