Does a bat really "go dead"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
DD's 2014 LXT died, went from really hot to barely hitting past the pitcher and the sound it made changed also. We couldn't find any cracks or anything but sent it back and they replaced it under warranty so there must have been something wrong with it.

Mar 20, 2015
NW Az
Sounds like your going to lay down some $$ Go 17' LXT if she likes virtually no vibration in the handle or Zeno if she likes the feel of the ball when hit? Both great bats!!!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Bats do go dead. BUT not nearly as much as people claim. I would have her hit someone else's bat just to see how she hits. If she hits well,
you need a new bat.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Did it start going down hill, or did it never have the pop you expected? DD's Mako never performed as well as old bat. Old bat still gives her better pop, and it's a 2014.

My twins are both using it these days (have both a -10 and a -11 2015 Mako bought almost a year ago). They have both been swinging primarily the -10 for the past 6 months in games (High School and a lot of Travel Ball), practice (machines & live pitching) and daily tee work. In other words it has seen a lot of work. The last two bats they had were a CF5 and an Easton FS1, the DeMarini seemed to be the hottest out of all of them (too small for them anymore but it was a great bat). The newer Easton's have been good bats and have held up well but never really had that "wow" factor and lately just haven't been producing what you'd expect given the pitch, swing, etc.. Hey Core - Santa Claus might be calling soon!

Jun 19, 2016
I know aluminum bats go dead...they seem to last about a month with my DD. With aluminum you can hear a thud and feel the flat spots. It is past time for DD to move to a composite bat...but she is stubborn.

My experience with composite is a little different. Had a one piece eclipse bat for DD...used it on a cool day and after a fewat bats she was done with that bat...the bat wasn't done, but she would never swing it hard again.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I know aluminum bats go dead...they seem to last about a month with my DD. With aluminum you can hear a thud and feel the flat spots. It is past time for DD to move to a composite bat...but she is stubborn.

My experience with composite is a little different. Had a one piece eclipse bat for DD...used it on a cool day and after a fewat bats she was done with that bat...the bat wasn't done, but she would never swing it hard again.

If I recall, your DD is quite young. What is she hitting to cause flat spots in an alloy bat...Light poles? Trees? Rocks?

Jun 19, 2016
If I recall, your DD is quite young. What is she hitting to cause flat spots in an alloy bat...Light poles? Trees? Rocks?

She is 7. Two months until her 8th birthday. Her replacement bat came from Easton and it didn't even make it through a double header. She knocked a big dent in her FS300 28/17. There isn't even a mark where the dent occurred. The only thing she has hit is regulation 11" softballs.

According to their warranty the only will replace the bat one time but I am going to talk to them. their product. The replacement bat literally arrived Thursday night and it was dented by Saturday morning. It is actually the third FS300 she has done in this season. I bought the first one on eBay (new in wrapper) so I couldn't claim warranty on it.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016

She is 7. Two months until her 8th birthday. She is the average height and weight of a 10 year old. Her replacement bat came from Easton and it didn't even make it through a double header. She knocked a big dent in her FS300 28/17. There isn't even a mark where the dent occurred. The only thing she has hit is regulation 11" softballs.

Mar 25, 2011
Something to consider, if your bat is hitting balls the same distance after 1-2 years... uhm, I'm hoping your dd has been able to increase her swing speed over the course of 2 years, and has also become stronger, as well as improved her mechanics. She should be hitting the ball farther, not the same distance. and if its shorter ... well.. the answer is in the evidence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles