Do your players really hit >.600?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I get parents knowing..just not sure why that has to be shared with the kid unless they ask. Maybe my kid is the weird one since she has never asked about it. I guess I can understand kids needing to know when they get to a recruiting age if they are sending out e-mails, etc.
Of course, I could be wrong. I was wrong once. I thought that I was wrong. :cool:

Oct 3, 2019
So would Ks and BBs be the only stats that have any real importance, # of pitches seen, what? What would be a stat that has some real legitimacy to it, where it's less subjective.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The ones that are circled could be legit. You can't pencil whip HR's. BUT look at those K's. My take on this. Iowa's premiere players are playing TB during the summer and are foregoing HS ball. The best pitchers are also not playing HS either. Yes the hits very well could be legit as well as the HR's but who are they hitting against???? I've seen plenty of strong girls whack the ball over the fence every other AB against front toss, but when they face someone throwing 60 plus, K city baby.

One of my points a few months ago, is you should have a certain number of AB's for your stats to count towards All Conference Awards. A .576 avg with 63 AB's vs a player who hit .427 with 120 AB's should not be given preference over the 2nd batter. IMO.

View attachment 25996
Plus I have a hard time believing someone puts the ball in play as often as some of these girls and only have 0-2 ROE

Jun 8, 2016
So would Ks and BBs be the only stats that have any real importance, # of pitches seen, what? What would be a stat that has some real legitimacy to it, where it's less subjective.
Without knowing level of competition and competency of scorer, you cannot use stats to judge how good somebody is. I mean I could probably hit 1.000 in t-ball and some days I can barely make it out of my office chair 😂

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019
I saw a game recently where FCs were scored hits, even when resulting in an out for the lead runner. I had to wonder if it’s just me. Is it? Maybe I’m unaware. This was A level TB.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Not calling anyone out here, but do your players really hit over .600 on their teams? In my experience, that is really elite hitting. I am guessing that either
- They don't have enough at bats to be statistically relevant
- Scorekeepers (or parents) don't know what a fielder's choice or error is
- They really need to advance to the next level
- They should already be signed by a Top Tier D1 school
- I am just not that experienced in how good hitters really are out there

For reference, here are the hitting stats for the top 10 batting average players in all of Iowa this year (Over 3000 'regular' hitters). If you're really hitting over .550 that would be the top 0.5% of all hitters in the state.

I had one player, the first year of our varsity team, hit .636. But that year we did not face too many good teams. I'm talking most pitchers throwing in the 30s, maybe low 40s.

I'm not sure anybody will break that record now that our program is better and I schedule games against better teams. We've had a few hitters who are better than she was, but the second highest average is program history is .480.

Jul 27, 2021
Not calling anyone out here, but do your players really hit over .600 on their teams? In my experience, that is really elite hitting. I am guessing that either
- They don't have enough at bats to be statistically relevant
- Scorekeepers (or parents) don't know what a fielder's choice or error is
- They really need to advance to the next level
- They should already be signed by a Top Tier D1 school
- I am just not that experienced in how good hitters really are out there

For reference, here are the hitting stats for the top 10 batting average players in all of Iowa this year (Over 3000 'regular' hitters). If you're really hitting over .550 that would be the top 0.5% of all hitters in the state.

View attachment 25994
I am not so sure these stats are that viable. Plenty of potential issues that some have pointed out.

Interesting that the AVG and OBP are sooooo close. Definitely a lack of strike outs and high BB.

May 27, 2022
I saw a game recently where FCs were scored hits, even when resulting in an out for the lead runner. I had to wonder if it’s just me. Is it? Maybe I’m unaware. This was A level TB.
That is exactly why we got into GC 10 years ago, the “official” scorer did that and had no clue.
I know stats are very relative, kind of why I asked the question.

in one instance, one of our conference teams score a play along the line of: x hits single to SS, y out at second on the throw. So I know it happens.

I also looked at stolen bases for the season in our conference:
- Offenses earned 195 SB
- Defenses only gave up 125 SB ( a lot of scorers don’t like to call 1st/3rd situation a stolen base even though it is)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That is exactly why we got into GC 10 years ago, the “official” scorer did that and had no clue.
I know stats are very relative, kind of why I asked the question.

in one instance, one of our conference teams score a play along the line of: x hits single to SS, y out at second on the throw. So I know it happens.

I also looked at stolen bases for the season in our conference:
- Offenses earned 195 SB
- Defenses only gave up 125 SB ( a lot of scorers don’t like to call 1st/3rd situation a stolen base even though it is)
May i ask,
What is the importance of statistics for you?

What is the percentage of accuracy to each game's scorebook that you think is applied?

May 27, 2022
May i ask,
What is the importance of statistics for you?

What is the percentage of accuracy to each game's scorebook that you think is applied?
I’m an engineer by education which is likely the source of how I think about data. I do a lot of data analysis for my job so data/statistics are in my train of thought a lot. I’ve analysed state data over a couple years (ie correlating wins to BA and/or WHIP) and even created my own RPI calculator to rank all teams before it existed here.

I do stats as right as possible. I read the NCCA score keeping guide a couple times a year to make sure I’m accurate with what I do. We use iScore and it’s easy to get stats after games To put into Varsity Bound.

I need to remember I’m chasing a pipe dream thinking that others take it as serious as I do. that is why I came here to see what others see outside my area.

Add to that that Ive seen a few posts here about DD hitting what appears to be too good…

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877