Do you share secrets of your success?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
I've been asked many times. I've yet to see anyone take me up on my advice, simply because it takes so much hard work. As some others have said, I think most people are just looking for an easy fix. There's no such thing. Plus, the advice that you have to give up success now for performance a few years down the road tends to not go down so well. However, I always give the advice and offer it in abundance.

Did you hack my account and post my thoughts?????? In all the years I've been involved with softball I've only had three people take and actually follow my advice. All three of their DD's are playing successfully in college.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The most efficient path I know is not only about working hard, but also working intelligently. It's not just reps, but reps focused on improvement. Don't just practice, practice with intent and purpose.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I have been thinking about this a lot lately, since my DS recently took a quantum leap in his collegiate rowing.

For the 3 years he rowed in HS, and his freshman year in college, he did well in the fall, then some other rowers leapfrogged him and he lost his position in his desired boats because someone else worked really hard in the winter.
Last year he was one of 5 good freshmen. He lost his spot in the Novice (first year) 4 man boat beacause the other 4 outdid him.
This fall he had a great conversation with his coach. Coach told him what to do to be one of the team's top rowers. In the fall he was in their second 4 boat. In the spring he is in their first 4 man boat. DS, a sophomore, and 3 seniors. Last Sunday his boat came in 3rd place in his conference. (Michigan came in first and second).

So, at some point anyone has 3 choices. S/he can continue to be mediocre, s/he can quit the sport, or s/he can really decide to take it to the next level. There are no wrong choices. For some the sport may be just a hobby, for some it is time to give up, and for some the best choice is to take it to the next level.

Success is making the choice to take it to the next level over and over again.

May 4, 2012
Knowing what I know now (and assuming your kid is already dialed into a solid hitting/throwing/fielding practice plan), - I have to say getting involved in a high quality strength and conditioning regimen has been the single most important thing for us.

Jun 7, 2013
The most efficient path I know is not only about working hard, but also working intelligently. It's not just reps, but reps focused on improvement. Don't just practice, practice with intent and purpose.

I think that this is very, very important. My DDs, who both pitch, practice substantially less than most other pitchers at their level. But when they do do their work it is very focused and efficient.

As an example, my youngest DD has been the pitching Ace of all of her teams since 10U. This one other girl out worked her massively over the Winter. Her and her father thought that they'd be overtaking my DD. Short story shorter: Not even close. When this girl practices her pitching she just threw for an hour. She didn't focus on hitting spots and improving spin. She did, however, work on six different pitches. We all know how that story ends...

Jun 12, 2015
I think that this is very, very important. My DDs, who both pitch, practice substantially less than most other pitchers at their level. But when they do do their work it is very focused and efficient.

As an example, my youngest DD has been the pitching Ace of all of her teams since 10U. This one other girl out worked her massively over the Winter. Her and her father thought that they'd be overtaking my DD. Short story shorter: Not even close. When this girl practices her pitching she just threw for an hour. She didn't focus on hitting spots and improving spin. She did, however, work on six different pitches. We all know how that story ends...
The last time my husband took our dd to pitching lessons the instructor asked if we wanted her to learn a new pitch. She throws a fast ball, drop, and change up. He said no, not yet, let's keep working on the ones she already throws. She was pleasantly surprised, said most parents are really eager for their young pitchers to learn a bunch of different pitches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma