Do you share secrets of your success?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2015
Kind of an odd question - if you had something, anything like a training method, training device, program, routine, technology, etc...or something LEGAL (not talking PEDs here, or shaved bats) that in your opinion gave your daughter an advantage, made her a better player - would you share it with people who are or could be competing with her for the next several years? And I'm talking beyond just "hard work" or "effort" or "determination" or "great attitude" or the similar canned answers that I'm sure some of you immediately thought of. I'm talking something beyond that, the way she's putting in the work.

Nov 29, 2009
junkball, you're looking the silver bullet where none exists. Unfortunately, the canned responses are what moves the good players to be great ones. What works for one player may not work for others.

There are no shortcuts!!!!!

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
When I get asked by a parent on what we work on I kinda chuckle deep inside. I simply tell them its work ethic. That always gets them thinking because most believe that there's a magic drill we do? And like Sparky says, what works for one player may not work for the other. They can't believe that a 14 yr old can get up at 6am and do work. I tell them I'm very fortunate to have a kid that wants to improve everyday from the time she played 10u. My youngest DD is very fortunate to have a big sister that has that drive and she's learning from her on what it takes to be where she is. She's even asked me to take her to workouts...chill out kid you're playing 10u! I love the sound of their bats in the morning! I've been asked numerous times about giving lessons. I have a hard time committing to that because my expectations would be very high. I would expect work ethic! And not just money. I offer great advice...you can't throw money at the problem!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The short answer is yes. There is never a one-way fits-all teaching method that will achieve 100% success since different people learn different ways. So I end up teaching several different ways to achieve the desired results to various kids. That said, it doesn't matter what I teach them if they don't take it home and put the work in to reinforce the proper mechanics. Whether they are competing against my DD or will in the future is irrelevant to me since I know that there are few girls that will outwork her.

As an example, DD is in the middle of HS season. They are playing games every day after school because of early season rainouts being re-scheduled. She is currently dragging me out of bed at 4:30 a.m. every weekday morning to take her down to our indoor facility so she can hit about 200 balls of tee work and front toss before school starts since she doesn't have time after school to do it. Every Saturday and Sunday she spends 8-11 a.m. working on hitting and catching mechanics.

She learned early on that you have to outwork the competition to be one of the top players in the area. There's no magic...just sweat equity.

Jun 12, 2015
Most of what I have done that's helped my DD, I learned here. It's not like I have patented anything fantastic. I do share what works for us, as I hope when my kid is struggling with something, if someone else has found something helpful they will share with me.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
While hard work is always a good way to get what one wants out of life, I tell people the secret to success is "balance"....we have always tried to find a "balance" between athletics, academics and social activities to make my DD the best she could be and maintain quality of life...to be happy. And that "balance" will be different for everyone.

Apr 16, 2013
I've been asked many times. I've yet to see anyone take me up on my advice, simply because it takes so much hard work. As some others have said, I think most people are just looking for an easy fix. There's no such thing. Plus, the advice that you have to give up success now for performance a few years down the road tends to not go down so well. However, I always give the advice and offer it in abundance.

Jun 12, 2015
There are a lot of people who don't like hard work. Or maybe they love softball more than their kid does. I have had people comment on how my DD plays like it's a gift from the universe. Yes, there is an element of natural talent that comes into play but she practices aaaaallllllllllll the time. It's very rare that we're not the first ones at practice by at least half an hour and usually more. She's always wanting to go in the basement and hit into the net (her new bat came yesterday so this week there will be a lot of that). It's not that she has a super awesome work ethic. When it comes to non-softball things she's kind of lazy actually (god forbid I try to get her to do a halfway decent job cleaning her room). But she loves softball and practices a ton and that really is probably the #1 reason she's as good as she is.

May 20, 2015
When I get asked by a parent on what we work on I kinda chuckle deep inside. I simply tell them its work ethic. That always gets them thinking because most believe that there's a magic drill we do? And like Sparky says, what works for one player may not work for the other. They can't believe that a 14 yr old can get up at 6am and do work. I tell them I'm very fortunate to have a kid that wants to improve everyday from the time she played 10u. My youngest DD is very fortunate to have a big sister that has that drive and she's learning from her on what it takes to be where she is. She's even asked me to take her to workouts...chill out kid you're playing 10u! I love the sound of their bats in the morning! I've been asked numerous times about giving lessons. I have a hard time committing to that because my expectations would be very high. I would expect work ethic! And not just money. I offer great advice...you can't throw money at the problem!

touché.
Couldn't have said it better.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
would you share it with people who are or could be competing with her for the next several years?

I have, many times.

Here is how to make your kid a great 18YOA softball player.

1) Find a good hitting/pitching coach.
2) Learn from him/her.
3) Practice 90 minutes a day every day for 10 years.

I have a friend who went to the Julliard, became a concert trumpet player, and is now an accomplished jazz musician. Not surprisingly, he followed the same regimen as a child.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood