Do you play with what you have?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I faced this dilemma each year in girl's basketball. I had a couple of young ladies that were on the various Team USA teams for soccer and one for volleyball. We had an opening tournament each year that we hosted. I knew that we would be without 3 starters each year for those four years. (All 3 were 4-year starters) We played. Each year in the seed meeting for regional/sectional play back then, the coaches spoke about who they had beaten. Each year, these teams would mention at the seed meeting that they beat us. I would smile. We would get a lower seed and most often drew one of those teams. We never left any doubt about what team was better in those regional/sectional games. LOL

BTW, as you might guess, we were really talented. We pressed full-court man to man and played man at the half court that was scary at times. Only poor coaching on my part prevented us from winning state those years.

Jun 8, 2016
BTW, as you might guess, we were really talented. We pressed full-court man to man and played man at the half court that was scary at times. Only poor coaching on my part prevented us from winning state those years.
Let me guess..you ran into teams which knew how to break a press and had the talent to do it?? :p

Apr 13, 2015
Great feedback from everyone...thanks ! Reinforces what I will plan on doing...play ball!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Let me guess..you ran into teams which knew how to break a press and had the talent to do it?? :p
Short version - one year the team was simply better than us. We played how we played. They beat us by 6.

Following year the result was that we lost but an investigation of video evidence from the game resulted in a referee being banned from officiating all sports in my state.

Jun 8, 2016
Short version - one year the team was simply better than us. We played how we played. They beat us by 6.

Following year the result was that we lost but an investigation of video evidence from the game resulted in a referee being banned from officiating all sports in my state.
Ok well you said you lost due to poor coaching hence my guess.. ;) Sometimes a team is just better than you 🤷‍♂️

Dec 11, 2010
We pressed full-court man to man and played man at the half court that was scary at times. Only poor coaching on my part prevented us from winning state those years.
I don’t know much about basketball but I do know that I LOVE watching that kind of team!

May 6, 2015

DW is sick and tired of hearing me say "you break the press in order to score, not just break the press", you have to make them pay for pressing/trapping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1