Do you find wearing black jerseys makes a difference in summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
Several girls on my team want black jerseys for this upcoming season. I love how black looks, but I worry about the effect it will have in those long summer games and tournaments when the temps and sun beating down on them is going to be at its most intense. Is this one of those things that really isn't something to worry about and I'm being silly? Or should I go with a lighter color?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
IMO black is stupid. Of course it's hotter. If you are going to have a black jersey reserve it for cooler days. Check the weather. I think some coaches/orgs believe it shows toughness. Sorta like the same stupidity that say wearing a feilding mask shows weakness. Remember hockey goalies use to not wear mask either. Evolve coaches.

May 1, 2018
Texas Team here....yes, it's too freaking hot for that. Night game during the early spring or late fall no problem. But other than that...pass.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Talking about hot,
Playing in shorts was GREAT
just wear sliders ;)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yep it makes a large difference. Any really dark color is going to collect the heat.

Even as an umpire we rarely wear black - for USSSA we have white, black and red and almost always wear Red (white gets dirty, black is too hot).

Oct 4, 2018
Go sleeveless in the summer. That helps a lot more than color choice.

I'm curious about the color in relation to heat. What's the actual science. I feel some of it is just centuries-old wives tale.

May 29, 2015
Yep it makes a large difference. Any really dark color is going to collect the heat.

Even as an umpire we rarely wear black - for USSSA we have white, black and red and almost always wear Red (white gets dirty, black is too hot).

White is the one color I refuse to buy. Then again, I prefer the darker colors with heather grey pants.

I have never bought into the white/black in the summer thing. The fabric is more important and umpire shirts have traditionally been terrible fabrics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06