Coaches--what makes you love the game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
With spring rec ball coming to a close I always get a little emotional reflecting back on the season. I thought it might be cool to read what keeps others coming back to the field despite all the drama, chaos and politics of the game. What is it about Softball that makes it impossible to live without?

Me? I feel honored to be able to be a part of contributing to the well being of our neighborhood kids and possibly make a difference in their lives. It really is a gift, isn't it? And when I take the field on game day and watch that kid get her first hit of the season it's like spending an afternoon in heaven. I often attend other games within our league to see what those coaches are doing with their teams and wonder if they feel the same thing I do when they're on the field. Why else would they be there? They're not getting paid, they make personal sacrifices to be at all the practices and games, they often spend money out of their own pockets, and for what reason? Ego? Pride? Maybe, but I think the love of the game transcends such petty things for most of them, or at least that's what I decided I'm going to believe. For now, I'm going to relax during the off-season. You know, those two weeks between Spring Ball and Summer Ball.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I love the game because of the bond I have formed with my DD while molding her into a pretty darn good pitcher. I also cherish the friendships I have formed with the other psycho softball parents I have met along the way.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I love seeing when a player wakes up and gets a particular concept or action. I also love knowing how hard some of these girls are working and seeing that work pay off for them. My group is still not old enough to completely understand how hard work can eventually surpass those who merely rest on their God given physical ability.

Dec 7, 2011
I love the game because of the bond I have formed with my DD while molding her into a pretty darn good pitcher. I also cherish the friendships I have formed with the other psycho softball parents I have met along the way.

Dittos on what JAD says here.

I will also add that I was raised in an environment where boys were the ones thought of around sports and thought to be the only ones with sports passion & competitiveness & raw sports skill. When I see a young lady out there pouring it all out on the field and going after her D-1 dream I see an individual growing up that will hopefully forever squash any remaining steriotype.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I coached when DD was in rec and low level TB; I quit when she was 14U because she knew more than I did and I thought it was time for a more advanced coach to take over.

People think I am completely crazy but I will be going back to coach little league softball next year while DD is in college. I enjoy seeing the light come on when a young player finally understands a concept, or when she executes something correctly for the first time. There are no little league coaches in my town who don't have a kid on the team so I will be the first in many years. I thank God that these parents volunteer their time but the girls as a whole aren't getting the foundation necessary to get ready for the High School program and beyond.

Apr 9, 2012
The girls. The smiles. The successes and the failures.

My relationship with my DD and my "25 adopted daughters" is better than any relationship I ever had with my parents. I must be doing something right and hope it gets payed forward with my girls kids in the future.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Teaching a kid something that they didn't think they could do and then seeing their reaction when they do it successfully for the first time in competition.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
What really keeps me coming back is seeing the kids as they move on to other teams and their skills advance. At Tournaments, almost all the kids I have coached if they see me will run over and give me a huge hug..... that makes it all worthwhile!!!!

May 20, 2008
When one of the worst players on the team comes up to you at the end of the season after you give the "I hope to see you all next season..." speech gives you a big smile and a hug and says "I'll be back next season Coach". I know she was coming back because she had fun not because she's some all-star (this was Rec). Of course I enjoy seeing the girls grow and develop in skills and maturity, etc etc but that moment really stuck with me.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011

I couldn't have said it better!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06