Do colleges compete for players?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2012
I think just like most other things, it depends on the nature, and sometimes character, of the coach. DD is deciding between 3 schools , 2 in the same conference. 1 coach didn't ask about other schools at all. The other did and had very positive things to say about both of the other coaches and programs. He did say though that if DD chose the school in the same conference he would be first to shake her hand after the game and say "sorry you lost." That made DD like him even more.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My sons played with a young man in HS, that was all everything. UofI and IL. State were competing for him. So, the assistant coach from ISU, decided to travel around to every one of this young man's games one season. He over did himself by becoming close to the family.

On the other hand UofI said we will give you an 80% scholarship, come here if you want. I think that ISU was a full ride.

In the end, the young man decided that an education at UofI was pretty good, so he called the coach at ISU and said that he picked UofI. The guy went off on the kid, yelling at him. The young man was shocked. He said that he thought that he made the right choice, after all.

Oct 14, 2008
Yes there is Bargaining, And it can be more chaotic depending on the roster needs of the schools and your dd,s position she is trying for. There is little or no love loss in Conferences. There is even less if you pick a mid over major because of dollar amount. Majors look down their noses at Mids and are not ashamed to show it.

Congrats to you and your dd, Get ready your in for a ride you wont forget.

Tim

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Please excuse me and I don't want to hijack this thread. Tim, can't wait to see how your dd does this year. What a fantastic year she and her team had last year!!! I bet she is so excited. Per mine, she is lifting and working out everyday. She is hitting as much as she can as well. Our dd's will get back after it in another week or two. Then, being a student and an athlete will be tough again.

Per this thread, staying eligiable in the off season is easy compared to in season. The bus rides, plane rides, make ups, ... all make is to hard to get the grades. All it might take is one crabby professor and they can mess up the dd big time.

Oct 14, 2008
CB thanks. I just hope she dosent have the famed sophomore slump. Time is getting short, Feb 9th the season kicks off. I hope your dd has a great season also.............. Back to the threead

Dec 7, 2011
I started the thread so I can hang on your diversion for one more :)

I don't believe in "Sophomore Slumps", as long as DD is working just as hard or harder. (and they usually do - I have seen)

My Sophomore DD last year jumped to All-State in controlling most of the distractions that messed with her brain as a varsity pitcher as a freshman.

I think there is more of a risk in junior year slumps - seen many in our hs conference. As a known "ace" in your conference now all the coaches & players are targeting you for a challenge. At the same time it seems like the junior year that girls either keep dedicating themselves to the religion of pitching or they turn it into a pass-time in their social schedules....

OK - now back to the originally scheduled topic ;-)

Oct 19, 2009
GOINGDEEP
My experience/opinion is to just be honest with everyone. We always told any coach exactly who we were also "speaking" with, like making a girlfriend jealous. Whoever asks for a "date" first and you commit, you just tell/ask the other to make a different date. If you have a few colleges interested it's a good thing, it gives you a tad bit of leverage.

Totally agree always put your best foot forward be honest and polite to your parents, team mates and all the coaches talking to you. Daughter was recruited by some colleges as far away as New York and Washington, but none had the field of study she was interested in.

She attended a tryout and instantly received a scholarship offer at school that offered the field of study she was interested in and just completed her first semester. :cool:

Alabama told us at a camp they walked away from a top prospect because of the disrespectful way she treated her parents.

Dec 7, 2011
GOINGDEEP

Totally agree always put your best foot forward be honest and polite to your parents, team mates and all the coaches talking to you. Daughter was recruited by some colleges as far away as New York and Washington, but none had the field of study she was interested in.

She attended a tryout and instantly received a scholarship offer at school that offered the field of study she was interested in and just completed her first semester. :cool:

Alabama told us at a camp they walked away from a top prospect because of the disrespectful way she treated her parents.

We witnessed a "top-of-the-list" candidate get kicked at the TN Tech event because of being disrespectful to one of the smaller school coaches that was also attending. So tell yer DD's out there to "check themselves before they wreck themselves"......

Nov 19, 2009
I think for most dads including myself, our recruiting knowledge is from the boys side, and it is a world apart; I would expect there to be more competitiveness between coaches, backstabbing, and corruption- because of the big budgets and longstanding process. With the softball side there are just too many girls right now, and I would think most coaches would just move on to the next if a recruit gave pause or said no. The flagship state university here has a coach who has been there forever, put the program on the map, and should have been let go years ago for her teams continuously underacheiving; in the mens sports world, or even the ladies basketball world, this coach would have been replaced. She is still here, which is an indication of where college softball is and isn't regarding programs and by extension recruiting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish