Distracted ump (1st base coach)..what's the call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2010
Regarding USSSA, Ed was quoting from their rulebook (2020).
D. An obstructed runner may not be called out between the two bases where​
the runner was obstructed except as follows:​
1. The obstructed runner obtains the base they would have been​
awarded had there been no obstruction and there is a subsequent play.​
The obstructed runner is no longer protected if they leave the base.​

Note that it doesn't say "a subsequent play on a different runner." I'm not familiar with USSSA; can't speak to their interpretation.

ETA: USSSA's interpretations are here. http://usssa.com/docs/2018/2018_FP_Intrepretations.pdf

[...]​

Whenever obstruction occurs, whether a play is being made on a runner or not, the​
umpire will declare obstruction and signal a delayed dead ball. The ball will remain live.​
If the obstructed runner is put out prior to reaching the base she would have reached had​
there not been obstruction, a dead ball is called and the obstructed runner, and each other​
runner affected by the obstruction, will be awarded the base(s) they would have reached,​
in the umpire’s judgment, had there not been obstruction. A preceding runner would​
advance to the next base if she occupied a base awarded to an obstructed runner.​

An obstructed runner could be called out between the two bases she was obstructed if she​
was properly appealed for missing a base or leaving a base before a fly ball was first​
touched. If the runner committed an act of interference after the obstruction, this too​
would overrule the obstruction.​
If the obstructed runner is put out after passing the base she would have reached had there​
been no obstruction, she is running at her own risk, if tagged, would be called out. The​
ball remains live and other plays may be made.​
When the runner is obstructed during a rundown, a delayed dead ball is called. If the​
runner is tagged out after being obstructed, a dead ball is ruled, and she is awarded the​
base she would have made had there been no obstruction. If the ball is overthrown after​
the obstruction, the runner may advance. She may not be called out between two bases​
where she was obstructed.​

Last edited:
May 29, 2019
So what if the umpire's mindset is this:

Throw to 3rd..."I see obstruction getting back to the bag. Runner is safe back at the bag"
Overthrow fielded then play at home..."I think that the runner would still have been out even if there is no obstruction"

So would that be out at home? Put back to 3rd? Or automatically get home?

I think the obstruction rule is one of the most or misunderstood rules there is. It seems to be even more confusing now that you see all of "new" obstruction rule discussion on TV with college games. I don't think the intent of the rule is to cheaply give additional runs or bases, but that seems to be what the common conception is and what a lot of obstruction calls result in. I've even heard coaches teach to "Keep running until you get tagged because you automatically get the next additional base." That seems to be what the coach in the video was arguing.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@Comp Here is the direct quote from USSSA, it does not specify that the subsequent needs to be on another runner. Is there an interpretation that specifies that?

D. An obstructed runner may not be called out between the two bases where the runner was obstructed except as follows: 1. The obstructed runner obtains the base they would have been awarded had there been no obstruction and there is a subsequent play. The obstructed runner is no longer protected if they leave the base.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Clearly a friendly. Very common to see a girl take ball 4 and stay up to bat. Not official sanction rules but very common in scrimmages. Kid wants a chance to hit, not walk the bases.

As far as the obstruction at 3rd. It could not have been more obvious and should have been called. Ump whining about a reaction from a coach on a pitch instead of watching a defender sitting on a base runner is pretty poor umpiring.
How was it clear obstruction? The runner was going back to third and was on the bag when the collision occurred. In that moment she was not on her way home and the fielder was only in contact for that second. The runner was not obstructed from getting up and running home. That's my opinion.

Mar 8, 2021
It's not an obstruction call when her catching motion carried her into the returning runner. She didn't block her from the bag, she didn't sit on her to keep her from getting up, and she didn't get in the way of her trying to advance to home. The coach never should have sent her home as it was a good no-call on that play in my opinion and in my view she wouldn't have made it home even IF they hadn't collided. Sucks it happened, but there appeared to be no intent to interfere with the runner, she was just making a play on the ball.

Jun 13, 2018
It absolutely can be obstruction if the throw carries the fielder into the runner's path.
Also intent doesn't matter, either the runner is impeded or she isn't.

Sep 10, 2019
Not even two umps can catch everything happening on the field. Rec games are great practice for everyone. Video seems to be very helpful in many instances. The greatest ump annoyances seem to happen during games outside of rec ball. Once again, video evidence helps. At this point, maybe an incident report is the right call. I haven’t done it yet, but I feel optimistic about it. But hey, thanks to the OP for this thread because now I have a question, “how does the ump who missed a call rule on a grievance during a game?”

May 29, 2019
I just watched the video again and stand by my earlier call of "out at home". The play was a pic at third. If I see an obstruction, she is protected back to third on that play. She stands up on the bag and is not obstructed on her way to home. The throw home is a subsequent play to the obstruction...advance at your own risk! Coach, don't try to score a girl in that situation that has 4.0 speed.

Reactions: PDM
May 7, 2015
SoCal
You could argue that the runner interfered with the defender trying to field the thrown ball. My call would be that the runner would've been protected to return to 3B in the event of an out. The runner lost that protection once they left for home.

Out of all the possible things to complain about "bad umping" this is not one of them. This is a complicated play with many layers. I actually think that everyone handled themselves pretty well, from what I saw of the video.

I wish softball rec leagues would copy Little League where games are umpired by parents. That $H!T is difficult and it often times is made miserable by overly competitive parents/coaches. Maybe then people could be a little more patient with the officiating.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar