Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You think continuously pinching the rear scap is causing the issues here? I think we can all name ten things that are wrong with this swing.......

That's the main thing that he was working on in this swing ... continuously pinching the rear scap.

He was also blabbering away while making this swing .... which often doesn't lead to the highest quality swing.

Rarely does he actually demonstrate his swing. Do you have another demo of his swing?

Dec 4, 2013
That's the main thing that he was working on in this swing ... continuously pinching the rear scap.

He was also blabbering away while making this swing .... which often doesn't lead to the highest quality swing.

Rarely does he actually demonstrate his swing. Do you have another demo of his swing?

No. I watched those videos awhile back. That's the first full swing I ever saw of his, I didn't think he ever put a full swing out there but you found one.....

Dec 4, 2013
I think this thread is a prime example why you should ask to see someone's work before following their hitting theory. Would you take lessons from a golf pro who had a swing that didn't match the guys on the PGA tour? Or from a guy who couldn't produce a swing that matched?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I think this thread is a prime example why you should ask to see someone's work before following their hitting theory. Would you take lessons from a golf pro who had a swing that didn't match the guys on the PGA tou? Or from a guy who couldn't produce a swing that matched?

What I would want to see is a guy who has some students who produce a high level swing which both matches what the instructor is teaching and produces good results. If that is what you mean by seeing someone's work then I agree. However if you are using the instructors swing as a necessary component of this, which you seem to be implying with your golf pro example, then I am not sure I agree with that. That is why I bolded the word some in the first sentence. If you take a 100 random students, each who work equally hard, and teach them the same theory you will get different results even if the instructor is smart enough to modify the instruction part to fit each student's needs. Sometimes an instructor, or a student, just doesn't have the athletic ability to produce a high level swing, regardless of the "theory" they are being instructed to follow. The best case scenario in terms of testing out an instructors ability to teach a specific "method" of hitting, imo, is to take a hitter who has obvious athletic ability but with some obvious swing issues, and follow that hitters progression. If TM is actually the one who changed Judge's swing in the off season, then this would be a good example of that. Same thing with Tewk and Donaldson.

Note, I am not saying that is the case here with Stone. Apparently he played college baseball and football, not sure at what level, but that fact alone means he is not devoid of athletic ability. As I have said I like some of the stuff he talks about. I don't like his full swing in that video :cool:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
No. I watched those videos awhile back. That's the first full swing I ever saw of his, I didn't think he ever put a full swing out there but you found one.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMClM7n0CXQ

His definition of early whoosh doesn't seem so early and the kid still is pushing some. As Butter and FFS have mentioned, his instruction seems to be missing the part regarding turning the barrel with hands/forearms regardless
of how one thinks the elbow slotting is initiated. Seems to be missing TMs second engine in his instruction

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I think this thread is a prime example why you should ask to see someone's work before following their hitting theory. Would you take lessons from a golf pro who had a swing that didn't match the guys on the PGA tour? Or from a guy who couldn't produce a swing that matched?

You just poo-pooed on 99.9% of the tech forum posters, including yourself!

Dec 4, 2013
What I would want to see is a guy who has some students who produce a high level swing which both matches what the instructor is teaching and produces good results. If that is what you mean by seeing someone's work then I agree. However if you are using the instructors swing as a necessary component of this, which you seem to be implying with your golf pro example, then I am not sure I agree with that. That is why I bolded the word some in the first sentence. If you take a 100 random students, each who work equally hard, and teach them the same theory you will get different results even if the instructor is smart enough to modify the instruction part to fit each student's needs. Sometimes an instructor, or a student, just doesn't have the athletic ability to produce a high level swing, regardless of the "theory" they are being instructed to follow. The best case scenario in terms of testing out an instructors ability to teach a specific "method" of hitting, imo, is to take a kid who has obvious athletic ability but with many obvious swing issues, and follow that kid's progression.

Note, I am not saying that is the case here with Stone. Apparently he played college baseball and football, not sure at what level, but that fact alone means he is not devoid of athletic ability. As I have said I like some of the stuff he talks about. I don't like his full swing in that video :cool:

Good post. Yes I think either the instructor or some of his students must match.....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Some of the worst teachers of the swing actually have a very good swing themselves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06