Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
His front side flys open, shoulder and elbow, weight on back leg. Not something I would teach, your students will be looking for a new hitting instructor after a few at bats in a game.

Straightleg

I have many students who use SnF mechanics with great success......

Wondering what you are basing your comments on. Have you ever tried this method with your students?

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
So how do you prevent the steep swing? Wish there was video of someone teaching a kid to turn the barrel. Relaying it to my kid has been difficult.

I agree, I hear lots about turning the barrel, but this can be a difficult concept. I am trying to learn with my kid and I am struggling.

May 12, 2016
qx90c41.gif

Snap Stops....Have DD get in front of a mirror and do this.....Turn the barrel from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. Work on creating immediate bat speed. Turning the barrel rearward. Adduct the rear humorous and supinate the rear forearm simultaneously. If the hands start approximately 6-10 inches from the rear shoulder they should be approximately the same distance away at the conclusion of the snap stop. I often tell kids imagine a pole running through their hands and through their rear shoulder. Hands remain relatively consistent in relation to the shoulder, the barrel pivots around them. (Creating a Hand Pivot Point) Next put a ball on a tee and perform snap stops. Some helpful cues for me have been "back elbow replaces the front elbow, front elbow works up", "turn the triangle", "knob to nose". I think these are a staple when learning to turn the barrel........

I like this video, however from what I see with the big hitters the bat initially drops over the back shoulder.. like what this guy is demonstrating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udhH9pke5jM

May 12, 2016
Thanks Spartans, already watched this one. Had my DD watch several clips of good hitters turning the barrel... still a struggle. Wish there was a good drill..

May 12, 2016
Stone shifts and swings in his demo. The very thing he says the drill prevents he does. He pushes.

His drill eliminates the hands from turning the barrel which IMO is a bad path to go down.

Does this drill still do a good job of explaining and illustrating continuous scap pinch? From what I understand you just have an issue with the resulting demo swing?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
front shoulder flies out early and on a inside pitch you cant release the bat head too early or risk hitting it into the third base dugout

SL

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I have many students who use SnF mechanics with great success......

Wondering what you are basing your comments on. Have you ever tried this method with your students?

front shoulder flies out early and on a inside pitch you cant release the bat head too early or risk hitting it into the 3rd base dugout.

Poor swing thought in my opinion

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
A progression drill:
tumblr_ou34tzBh6H1usf292o1_400.gif

tumblr_ou351z8izQ1usf292o1_400.gif

Look at this demo bottom one..... His thought is not to turn the barrel as quick as he can. He turns his legs, waist spine, shoulders, then releases the bat head...........That is the swing I teach.....
Core driven swing.

Not the teacherman..... release the bat head first like rdbass, and fiveframeswing preach. That turns into a arm swing when the hands pass the back stripe of the pants....Those hitters cant clear the infield...I fix those kind of hitter all the time that were taught those mechanics...

See it, feel it, then fix it.... That is the motto we work towards...

Straightleg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12