Different Club Baseball Model

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010

I was initially turned off by his comments about charging more. He has some really good ideas though.

I salute his stance on not playing weekend tournaments.

Jul 14, 2018
Saw that yesterday, an interesting thread for sure. I love the whole ecosystem that he proposes, where an organization lives up to it’s name: a place that takes a big group, organizes practices that are specific to player needs, and plays lots of games internally between teams that they can ensure are evenly matched. That sounds like true player development.

I too was taken aback by the cost comments, but he was speaking as a business owner. Charging what you’re worth as a small business is tough, especially when you’re doing something that you love. But there’s a value perception among consumers that you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks for posting. Will read twitter thread later. He is local to me and he has a yard sign at the entrance to the parking lot of the local rec league. One of his baseball camps is at the local high school, softball camps are 20 minutes south and north of me.

His speedball league is an interesting concept to keep the game fun:

If my DD was 6 years younger, I'd sign her up for his summer camp and fall ball program. I should have her reach out and see if she could work one of their camps.

I helped implement a similar concept in my rec league 10 years ago for a summer rec league called "Summer Stars". ~28 players each at 3 age groups that practice as a cohort twice a week, bring in outside coaches to help with practices. Form two equally balanced teams reformed each week to play a Saturday morning softball game, that is done by noon, so folks can enjoy the rest of the weekend. In my opinion, the 8u Summer Stars got better skill development than the 8u "All-Star" teams my DD played on in 8u.

P2 at one of local high schools never played summer B/C ball, but played in our "Summer Stars" summer program. After my DD aged out they started a similarly concept fall ball program called "Fall Fireballs".

I just wish I had realized I could of made the program bigger and made a living off of it :).

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Speedball is
*an already established practice model coaches do,
applied in a setting with some rules.
( lol they just needed to do something with baseball because like he commented it's boring and slow 😄)
But
It limits the amount of players that can participate because it does not have two full roster teams rather only 15 players circulating. But like I commented is a good practice model for one team.

Do not think hurry up and play is always the best way to go. However do like the opportunity for players to see different positions.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
P2 at one of local high schools never played summer B/C ball, but played in our "Summer Stars" summer program. After my DD aged out they started a similarly concept fall ball program called "Fall Fireballs".
Just looked up stats in Maxpreps. She pitched 46pct of the innings. I think she played some B/C local tournaments starting when she was 13, but no tournament ball before 13 years old. The player who pitched `52pct of the innings has been playing "A" ball since she was 9.

I've umped some 8u and 10u rec league games in the last month. They are boring and slow.

When I was doing research on resources for newbie coaches 12-13 years ago I found Canada's 'Learn To Play' program. Their philosophy is to keep in fun and skills development based through 10u. I assume they start getting more serious in 12u. Their Olympic softball team won a bronze medal, so it must work.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06