Different batting technique using metal and composite bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
I bought a composite bat (TPS Catalyst 2012 -12) almost 3 weeks ago. I found it sting badly my players hands and doesn't pop. I've shared this with another coach from other team. He also have the same experience with their first composite bat (easton brand) in the team.

So my question is.... is there any different technique between batting with aluminium bat vs composite bat?

If yes I hope someone can teach me how to bat with composite bat properly to avoid stinging.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
The bat tech long ago passed me by so maybe someone else can give you a better answer but from what I know for bats like that you simply must hit the ball on the barrel. If you hit it on the handle or even halfway you will have sting.

You can either view this as a bust and not a good bat for the age you are coaching or as a training aid to get them to hit the ball on the sweet spot :)

Jul 26, 2010
If you hit with the end of the bat the sting is the worst, they need to make contact with the middle of the barrel (fat part) of the bat. Usually sting comes from players who catch the end of the bat often.

-W

Oct 25, 2009
Sounds like someone is way off of the sweet spot of the bat.

To find the sweet spot of a bat hold the bat by the knob like a pendulum. While holding it by one hand take the other hand and tap up and down the length of the bat with a composite bat. When you hear a difference in the sound you have found the sweet spot of the bat.

Some players put a piece of adhesive tape around the bat at the sweet spot and try to hit the ball on the taped portion. When they hit the tape it leaves a mark so they know they hit it just right.

Baseball players using wooden bats find out pretty quickly when they miss the sweet spot too far. They get a handful of bees--stinging of the hands!

It is surprising how many softball players don't realize they aren't hitting the sweet spot. When they do hit it they will get much better results—better pop, better distance.

Notice: There are other things that can cause stinging. Bad timing can cause poor bat contact that can also sting. This is most obvious hitting higher speeds in the cage, where the ball overpowers the swing.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
With a -12 the sweet spot will be relatively small. Bats also differ in how much they vibrate on off center hits, I don't know anything about these particular 'Cats'.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
It could be a bum bat! Dd complained about her first compos, I listened to people on here for a few days about "she's hitting on the end" "she's hitting inside the sweet spot" "she's not gripping correctly". Finally after she cried hitting a ball once I unraveled the grip, it was cracking under the grip. Good her a new bat and first time trying it out it was all good, on her second compos since then still no sting. A composite should sting LESS than aluminum. That is why you see some midrange bats with composite handles and aluminum barrels, they all advertise reduced sting.

That being said....maybe the Catalyst is different, not sure what they use in them, but they sound CRAZY when hitting a ball. Almost as much as the Xeno they make my teeth sting hearing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIHKOPeWFg0&NR=1

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
With a -12 the sweet spot will be relatively small. Bats also differ in how much they vibrate on off center hits, I don't know anything about these particular 'Cats'.
urd
-12 will sting much more than a -10 when mishit occurs does not mater if bat is metal or composite......less weight/mass more vibration

Jul 25, 2010
Ohio
My DD had that same problem with the -12 Catalyst. Sold it and picked up a CF4. Now no more sting and a lot more pop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221