Difference of coacing styles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2012
I have joined the high school feeder team coaching staff this year and what an eye opener. There is a family that has had a couple of girls go through the feeder program and play on the high school team. They are very tight with the hc of the high school team. After our tryouts myself and the other two ladies that coached last year talked and decided that I would run the practices and game day while they would handle the administrative duties.

Here's the problem. The husband of one of the coaches has always been involved though not in an official capacity. We have a very different coaching style and teaching style. He also has a very different hitting style that I think limits the girls and weakens their hitting. They coach by punishment if you mess up and I do not.

The hitting difference comes from stance and he teaches the power V. He wants the girls to coil and bring their front leg to their back leg, lift it high and take a big stride. He also likes for them to use a bat that is too heavy "cause they get more into the ball with a heavier bat". My daughter has been taught by a hitting instructor more of a rotational hitting style (my preference) and is more of a consistent hitter than the other coaches daughter's are.

This is only an 8 week deal then we move on so my preference is to just move on but the coach inside me wants to push back and teach differently. It is hard for me to let something go that I think is wrong. What do you think?

May 11, 2012
I think you need to make it known that you appreciate his help, however you prefer to teach hitting your way and you want everyone to be on the same page, so it will benefit the girls. Who is the Head coach? If thats a deal breaker for them( listening to you and recognizing your approach), then its not worth it and move IMO. If your the manager/head coach, then you need to run the show the way you know how. "helpers" are there to do exactly that......help.

Jun 13, 2011
Billerica, MA
teach what you know. I also go with the rotational hitting style and think it works best. I consistantly produce great hitters. My team hit .385 over the season and we had a few over .600. Use what works.

Jul 26, 2010
I have joined

This says what you need to understand. You joined their organization. Do things their way. Once you solidify yourself in their program and earn respect, you can start to make adjustments. Did you think you would be able to just jump on board an existing program and do things your way?

-W

May 11, 2012
What does the HS HC teach? Thats probably a better way to look at it I suppose. forgot about that with my initial response.

Since this is a feeder, whatever is taught should be on board with what the HS does. Some coaches dont care as long as it works. Some are very particular about what they want.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2012
It was agreed that I would act as HC. The two women that have been running it started doing it because no one else stepped up. My DD will be on the feeder team for this year and next year. We have already had one discussion about sliding and one Saturday practice I couldn't be there and they taught everyone to slide head first into every base....it is the "Jones' way". Same with hitting...it is the "Jones' way".

I have not had a conversation with the HS HC yet but according to the other coaches he does not use "T" work at all and will only do soft toss with wiffles before a game and side toss for practice. I am not sure that I will get any where with the coach but still need to have a conversation with him.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I like personalizing things.

DD kind of goes her own way, probably wrong but it is her own way. I am not going to interfere with the team coaches. They can teach her anything they want and we will unwind it latter.

I am also at practice more than the HC and any of the ACs, just tell me what you would like me to do. I am willing to have a discussion about anything but am also very happy to teach it your way. It is your Team not mine.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I like personalizing things.

DD kind of goes her own way, probably wrong but it is her own way. I am not going to interfere with the team coaches. They can teach her anything they want and we will unwind it latter.

I am also at practice more than the HC and any of the ACs, just tell me what you would like me to do. I am willing to have a discussion about anything but am also very happy to teach it your way. It is your Team not mine.

You are a good softball parent! A rare discovery!
At some point I will have to learn that. Or develope players so good, no coach will want to change.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
It was agreed that I would act as HC. The two women that have been running it started doing it because no one else stepped up. My DD will be on the feeder team for this year and next year. We have already had one discussion about sliding and one Saturday practice I couldn't be there and they taught everyone to slide head first into every base....it is the "Jones' way". Same with hitting...it is the "Jones' way".

I have not had a conversation with the HS HC yet but according to the other coaches he does not use "T" work at all and will only do soft toss with wiffles before a game and side toss for practice. I am not sure that I will get any where with the coach but still need to have a conversation with him.

You do not slide head first into the bases, nor at home plate! Diving back to a base head first is fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06