Did she leave too soon? You make the call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
It's easier to leave early when playing against one of the NCAA "questionable" pitchers, since there is no real way for the umpire to look at the pitchers foot and the baserunner at the same time.

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It's easier to leave early when playing against one of the NCAA "questionable" pitchers, since there is no real way for the umpire to look at the pitchers foot and the baserunner at the same time.

-W

Based on the typical absence of any call, they are looking at neither!

Jul 26, 2010
Based on the typical absence of any call, they are looking at neither!

Or rather they call neither. The NCAA coaches for softball are pushing very hard, rightfully so, for the sport to be successful on TV and in the stands. Over-regulated events stifle that. Hell I've turned off baseball and football games when the officials get on my nerves.

That said, pay attention to when these teams have a runner on. You might see the 1st base coach point the pitcher out to the field umpire, asking him to watch her foot. The ump may even oblige, as the base runner takes an early lead. You used to see this in TB a lot until it became clear that illegal pitches do not exist in the youth sport.

-W

Jun 11, 2013
It's note even close.

IMHO, both the leaving early and the IP have such harsh penalties so they are rarely called.

I would like to see Illegal pitch just be a ball and call it over and over again until they stop.

As far as leaving early in Little League the rule is you have to go back on a steal or you are out if the batter puts the ball in play. That allows them to bring the runner back on a steal like this without the harsh out.

Since my DD catches sometimes I think all runners she doesn't throw out left early :)

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
DD is a speedster. I'd rather she be called out occasionally for pushing the envelope on her timing than hold up and get thrown out. Sorry parents of Cs and Ps.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
this looks like a perfectly timed steal :), just the right amount of early to make it a tough call but enough to get a big step advantage. I had to freeze frame it to be sure she left early.

Tough call??? Did you watch the slowed-down clip I posted??? She is clearly off the bag when the ball is over the pitcher's head, just past 12:00. That's way early.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Tough call for an ump to make live not a tough call in slo mo or in my case a paused clip. She didn't get called out so the proof is in the pudding.

That may be true and wise at that level of play, but I challenge runners to try it in TB play. Seems to me the umpires we run across are looking for, and calling, it much more often that appears to be the case in the clip. In fact, I think the umpires who call it (often wrong) in TB seem to be the ones strutting around as if they want to be seen as being more important than they are. Yeah, I have a bad taste in my mouth for SOME umpires.

May 17, 2012
That may be true and wise at that level of play, but I challenge runners to try it in TB play. Seems to me the umpires we run across are looking for, and calling, it much more often that appears to be the case in the clip. In fact, I think the umpires who call it (often wrong) in TB seem to be the ones strutting around as if they want to be seen as being more important than they are. Yeah, I have a bad taste in my mouth for SOME umpires.

This has been my experience as well. We teach the rock-start lead off and that initial movement before the ball is released always seems to draw attention from the umpire.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA