Did she leave too soon? You make the call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
This is a video about Alabama's Jennifer Fenton breaking an NCAA record for consecutive steals. If you don't want to watch the whole video, tune in around 0:40. She's about to steal third, which will break the record.

Does she leave early? I post this for entertainment and discussion only. Not trying to question the record. Came across this video because I was trying to find a good clip of sliding and of getting a good lead, as my DD (and most TB players, IMO) are woefully late in their leads. Fenton was my favorite Alabama player.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
If you aren't leaving early you are leaving late, right?

Played a couple teams last summer that were ridiculously early and they worked umpire position masterfully.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I took video of my DD in a game last fall where she was about 5 frames too late getting off second base. I showed it to her, and she was amazed. Next day, she did the same thing. "But I don't want to get called out!" This is why she was never good at basketball. She thought a foul was akin to smoking in school. She couldn't bring herself to risk it.

Jun 24, 2013
At least she is going somewhere. We had a runner called out for leaving the base early last year when she was about 1 foot off 2nd base when the ball reached the C. By the way it was a good call, she left the base early.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A lot of high level coaches will teach their players to "push the envelope" leaving early. Most umpires are hesitant to call it, so teams get more and more blatant about it until the umpire finally calls a base runner out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee