Diappointing bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Last spring (2011), I got my daughter a MV3 composite bat. I got it for her because of it being a -12. She's always been a good contact hitter with a little power and I thought the bat would compliment her skills. At age 11, she hit fairly well with it in both spring and fall ball. This year she used it and it has seemed to be disappointing.

She's grown some and is considerably stronger than she was at 11, but the bat just didn't pop for her this year. She still hit well: lots of singles and handful of doubles and a HR or two, but she never really got those nice hard line drives that I was hoping she'd get. In fall ball this year, after the head coach got a new pitching machine (zooka) that could only throw hardballs and the only hardballs we had were the heavier rubber ones that you aren't supposed to hit with composites, she had to use a normal aluminum bat.

Every ball she hit was hard. "That's the girl I used to know," he yelled as the ball soared over the outfielder's head (granted...it was a rubber ball, but it was hard hit). Final game of the season HC tells her to use the aluminum bat and she goes 3/3 with two balls rolling to the fence at about 220 feet away. (note: the aluminum bat she used was an Easton 32/22; her MV3 was a 32/20)

So, is it possible that she got a dud bat? Could it be hitting a dead spot on the barrel that wasn't broken in (although, as much as she hit through the year, you'd think she'd find the sweet spot more times than not)? Should I get it rolled to even out the break in? Is it even legal to roll a bat? (I've heard some say it "alters" the bat and is therefore illegal, others say that it just breaks it in fast and doesn't actually alter the bat). Could it be that she has just grown too strong for the bat and needs something with a little more heft (barrel weighted)? I don't mind getting her a new bat, but if the one she has has more life in it, then I'd prefer to keep it around, even if it is used as a team bat.

Like I said, she is primarily a contact hitter. Hits line drives to every field. She has had some power (and could potentially be getting some more now that she is maturing), but has usually been the arch-type #3 or #5 hitter that moves runners around rather than clearing the bases. Time to ditch the bat, roll it, or go back to aluminum?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A -12 bat is way too light for anyone. I hate them. There is no mass to hit with. Get her a -10 composite bat, possibly last years model (too save $$) or do what I do and look for an old yellow or blue Catalyst softball bat in a 31, 21. I pay about $65.00 for them.

We do not even kid about rolling a bat on here as it is illegal. Good luck and keep asking questions.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Just some points to think about.
1. Rolling, even though it does the same thing as hitting balls to break in, it's against the rules, not worth it.
2. As Amy said a heavier bat would be a better fit. The inexpensive Catalyst she mentions are a very good bat.
3. Mikens are notorious for taking 100s of hits to break in. That said, out of the box it should have more pop than an alum bat.
4. DON'T use her game bat with those machine balls!
5. "Line drives to every field" IS a power hitter. Pat her on the back.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Composite bats make a huge difference but getting the right weight is most important thing. Get a heavier bat.

Dec 29, 2010
Mv3 is a nice bat, but always had durability issues. My dds team last year broke 3 of them. Funny thing they were all -12. My dd had a rain light -12 her first year of A ball 10u. I thought since she will face better/faster pitching than town ball, the lighter the bat more bat speed. She did ok with the 11 inch ball, but the following year, 12 inch ball there was a difference. She wasn't driving the ball. Also she got stronger and was overswinging. Then after surfing the net, and getting info, I did her a disservice, light bats, big sweetspots, mask hitting flaws. It's been a journey, and it just gets better and better.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You need to get your DD a -10 bat. Try a Xeno or CF5. The only girls I know who use a -12 past 10U are slappers who just want the extra length to get the bat on the ball, but are not trying to hit for power.

Apr 1, 2010
I'm going with everyone else, LOL.

She used to be a contact hitter when she was smaller. It sounds like she's turning into an all-around hitter who can go for both average and power. She definitely should not be using anything lighter than a drop 10. Sell the MV3 on eBay or give it to the team. If she hit well with the aluminum 32/22, have her swing some composites in that size and see how she likes them. Keep using the metal bat on the machine balls and have her break in the new one hitting off a tee over the winter (no rolling). This is a GOOD thing. :-D

Oct 19, 2009
A -12 bat is way too light for anyone. I hate them. There is no mass to hit with. Get her a -10 composite bat, possibly last years model (too save $$) or do what I do and look for an old yellow or blue Catalyst softball bat in a 31, 21. I pay about $65.00 for them.

We do not even kid about rolling a bat on here as it is illegal. Good luck and keep asking questions.

Gotta disagree. My youngest (moving up to 11u this year) uses the white TPS Catalyst and it's an end loaded -12. She is the smallest kid on her team and prefers a lighter bat. She has a lot of pop with this bat however and has burned many an outfielder in the last year.

My oldest who is 13 uses the Xeno however. I think you should fit the bat to the player and not try to make everyone cookie cutter.

Off the machine, both girls use a cheap Easton reflex aluminum bat that is similar in weight to their game bats.
That being said, my older

Oct 14, 2008
-12 is a knob loaded bat MH..... 10 is balanced -9 and below are end loaded. Some of The new adds says its a drop 12 and swings like an end loaded bat....I dont get it. Totally different feel. Grab an Anderson thats a true drop 9 and a drop 12 cat and you will feel the difference.

11 and 12 is a bunter slapper bat. The more mass you have on the end of the barrel the harder the ball is driven. The more weight near the hands the more control a smaller hitter will have control of the bat head.

Tim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA