Development

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
A lot of talk about development on DFP (just read the Travel/Rec thread ....https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/travel-rec.42802/)

List out the tangible and possibly non-tangible things that (positively) develop a player physically and mentally for the various avenues where development take place.

Here is my crack at it:

Home: Reps and possibly instruction; watching games; other sports/physical activities; support from parents to (further) drive the love of the game
Lessons; Reps and instruction; support from instructor " " "
Team practice: Reps and instruction; competition from teammates; camaraderie/having fun with teammates to further drive love of the game; support from coaches " " "
Games: Reps (less of them but under game "pressure"); competition from the other team to both improve (actively through adaptation and also to motivate you to get better) ; camaraderie/having fun " " "; support from coaches and parents " " "

I am sure I missed a bunch. Of course, it doesn't need to be said that ability dictates both rate of development and ceiling..

Jul 14, 2018
A solid list, and I’m not sure if you did it on purpose, but home-lessons-practice-games is also presented in order of importance.

Maybe throw gym in there? Not so much at the earlier ages when development is about skills alone. But as they get older, they can continue to develop by adding in power and speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
A solid list, and I’m not sure if you did it on purpose, but home-lessons-practice-games is also presented in order of importance.

Maybe throw gym in there? Not so much at the earlier ages when development is about skills alone. But as they get older, they can continue to develop by adding in power and speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did it on purpose as I agree (especially at the younger ages). I had "other physical activities" on there for home so I guess you could lump gym work in with that although I do see a lot of teams working out together now.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
To add to the home...an older sibling close enough in age to play/push can be huge. (and of course, games with friends)
I agree with this sentiment but would expand it a bit. Any siblings, cousins or even neighborhood kids that are relatively close in age can foster competition and development. My set of twin DD's were extremely fortunate to have each other to push, challenge and support each other. I had them competing against each other in many areas since they were in diapers...so far, so good.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Teaching: When the player has become good enough to help others with lesser skills. Could happen at home with a younger sibling, helping other during a lesson or helping be an assistant coach for a younger team.

May 17, 2012
Softball is an individual sport so any individual development is of the most importance.

Team practice should be last on the list.

May 27, 2013
Having older players from the same league or org work with the younger players. It helps the younger girls develop their interest and skills as many times they look up to the “older” players and want to be like them.

It also benefits the older players because teaching skills to the younger players reinforces what they have been taught, and sometimes causes them to think about why they do things the way they do, so it finally “clicks.”

May 16, 2016
Illinois
A lot of talk about development on DFP (just read the Travel/Rec thread ....https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/travel-rec.42802/)

List out the tangible and possibly non-tangible things that (positively) develop a player physically and mentally for the various avenues where development take place.

Here is my crack at it:

Home: Reps and possibly instruction; watching games; other sports/physical activities; support from parents to (further) drive the love of the game
Lessons; Reps and instruction; support from instructor " " "
Team practice: Reps and instruction; competition from teammates; camaraderie/having fun with teammates to further drive love of the game; support from coaches " " "
Games: Reps (less of them but under game "pressure"); competition from the other team to both improve (actively through adaptation and also to motivate you to get better) ; camaraderie/having fun " " "; support from coaches and parents " " "

I am sure I missed a bunch. Of course, it doesn't need to be said that ability dictates both rate of development and ceiling..

Here is how I would rank them.

1- Natural Ability. Lets face it, many of the girls that are good at softball could be nearly as good at any other sport they put their mind to. Not in every circumstance but the majority are just more athletic than others.
1- Home. I rank this above lessons because if you are not practicing at home 3-4 days a week what you are learning in your lessons you will not reach your potential. I would include strength and conditioning in this category. Along with drive and determination.
2- Lessons. Hopefully you got a good instructor.
3- Money. Someone has to pay for all this. Travel softball is very expensive at the highest level.
4 - Games. If you are not doing the the stuff I ranked above this, it is likely you are not winning or placing well in National level tournaments.
5- Team Practice. Almost all of the top travel softballs teams do not practice with each other consistently. Hard to rank this higher on the list due to that factor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi