Defensive Errors Effecting Pitcher Mentally & Mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Unfortunately, the team's fielding has not got any better and appears to be wearing on my daughter. After six tournaments, she is now mentally tiring quickly when errors begin.

To me this is tough love. Real competitors, real athletes, don't give up. If she is giving up, I wouldn't hold her hand and say, "Poor, poor baby." I think the correct message is, "Either give everything you've got all the time, or find another way to spend your time."

Isn't it time for a life lesson? We all work with people who put in 50% effort or don't have the talent for their job. But, that is no excuse for us putting in 50% effort. We can't quit doing our best because the other people around us are goofballs. What I always tell my kids is, "It is people like them that make people like us look good."

She has to focus on what *SHE* can do to control the situation. Ultimately, she is there to throw the ball the best she can on every pitch, whether she throws 5 or 50. If she isn't, then *SHE* needs to toughen up.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
From your post it sounds like the team is not ready for competitive ball.

That was my thought. That's not just a defense that's struggling. As the OP described it, that's a defense that is totally inept.

If that's the case, I would attempt to change your daughter's focus away from the competition and toward the art of pitching. Pitcher's job then becomes pitching well, not getting outs, or winning. If she looks at it that way, then it doesn't matter if they play defense or not. It's just how are you pitching.

If competition is that important to her, the only solution might be to find a better fit if that's possible. But I wouldn't do that to rescue her. As sluggers noted, there are many lessons that can be learned here.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
I would guess most of us have dealt with this. Look at it this way, many college coaches want to see how players (pitchers especially) deal with difficult situations. She is getting great practice and experience from which she can draw upon later.

DD has played on teams like this. Both Rec and ASA. She eventually learned that all she can do is give her best but she must give her all in every situation. This year, new team, coaches love her attitude. She is unflappable in the circle and the team is "different" when she pitches. The infield has more bounce because she maintains positive energy. She learned the most important lesson in any sport. Love the game and play without fear.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The more the defense screws up, the more she gets to pitch. She wants to pitch, right?

-W

I agree Star to a point. No pitcher worth their weight wants to pitch and lose though. Once in a while will happen, every game and you have to soul search to what the problem(s) really are. The pitcher included.

If I was losing every game I'd be on the other DFP forum. The Disney Fastpitch.

Nov 29, 2009
To me this is tough love. Real competitors, real athletes, don't give up. If she is giving up, I wouldn't hold her hand and say, "Poor, poor baby." I think the correct message is, "Either give everything you've got all the time, or find another way to spend your time."

From the OP it doesn't sound like she is being coddled. It's just hard for a 12U pitcher who's been busting her hump to feel frustrated when she is doing everything she can and her teammates are falling apart behind her. There are very few of them who mature enough between the ears to handle it when their defense lets them down.

I tell my girls they can't strike out every hitter. But they can try to control hitters to have them hit the ball to the fielders. What I want from my pitchers is to throw what I call "Out" pitches. Pitches that induce a routine ground ball, fly ball or some type of routine play for the defense. Then I tell them after that there is nothing more they can do as a pitcher. I think once they understand that it helps them to be stronger mentally.

Apr 11, 2012
Thank you everyone for your replies. They all really helped. Some made me laugh, some made me just feel better knowing she is not alone in this situation, and others reassured me that telling her she needs to keep it together and be strong even when everything around her is falling apart is the right thing to do. I do think the experience is valuable but, man, it just seems too much sometimes. I really like the idea of telling her to focus on the art of pitching. After the second tournament, I told her that should be her focus for the rest of the season. She is very competitive though so has trouble accepting loses due to errors when she is doing her job. I will remind her that if she begins to show discouragement then her team is going to perform worse. She needs to stay focused and encourage her team. Oh and after the last game when she cried, I did tell her, "there's no crying in softball." ;)

And the errors take place no matter who is pitching. Team can't catch fly balls. Can't field grounders. If field a grounder, make a horrible throw. Third basemen hesitant to charge the bunt down third baseline so pitcher has to get it and then try to get out at first. Catcher is good and doesn't drop a ton of 3rd strikes - luckily.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
And the errors take place no matter who is pitching. Team can't catch fly balls. Can't field grounders. If field a grounder, make a horrible throw. Third basemen hesitant to charge the bunt down third baseline so pitcher has to get it and then try to get out at first. Catcher is good and doesn't drop a ton of 3rd strikes - luckily.

You have one of two things going on with the team. It sounds like the team is poorly coached on the fundamentals of the game or the kids lack the talent to play at the upper levels.

It's time to step back and take a realistic look at the team. From the amount of tournaments you said the team played it sounds like there is not much team practice time being put into to them. If so, does the coach realize it? Does it appear as if the coach has an idea of where the team is heading and how to get them there? Does the coach work with the team and they are not improving? Are the girls on the team lacking the motivation to work on their own? Is the team coming out of rec ball and the girls have yet to lose the rec ball mentality with the approach to the game?

Are you evaluating your daughter with an unbiased eye? What does her pitching look like when compared to the better pitchers you play against? If she looks like she would be able to garner playing time on those other teams who've been knocking her team around it may be time to rethink her options and find a team that is better suited to her abilities.

Apr 6, 2012
I have a couple of things to say. First, I always tell my pitchers that there will be days when they will pitch well and the defense will suck. There will be days when they will suck and the defense will save them. It's a two way street.

I have a few questions. First, since this is Fall and this is a 12 U team. Fall for many teams is a time to test things and see what needs to be worked on during practice. Do you get the sense that the coach will be able to turn things around and help the defense get better?Do the players seem to have the ability, with work, to get better? Also, this is the question that pitcher's parents don't seem to like, but I will ask it anyway. How hard are the balls hit? I ask this because I have seen some hard hits that a scorekeeper will mark as an error that the fielder didn't have a prayer of fielding. Not saying this is what happened, but just wanted to keep perspective here.

She's young, but she needs to learn that crying out of frustration in the circle is not an option. She needs to help pick up her fielders, not get frustrated because of them. At any rate, this is a learning experience for her as well as the team. Good luck and I hope it works out for her.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi