Defense

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
This year in DD’s rec league her Team could put the best infield in the league on the field if they wanted to, the HC moved players around so it didn’t happen very often but it was fun to watch when they did. All the fielders had their Issues but as a group really good.

MS ball it seems like the only outs we get is when the P strikes out a batter. HC told DD after last game that she was a 7th grader and needed to stay positive. She is pitching over 80% of the innings and I have not seen it affect her attitude but it has to be wearing on her.

DW and grandfather are making more comments then I am comfortable with, I have asked them both to settle down.

DD knows the Team and wants to play and for the most part is having fun just leave her Team alone!

DD health isn’t great, she has a lot of Issues. DW talked to the HC explaining what was going on. So now she is mad at the HC because DD asked if she was sitting and the HC said no. I told them both that DD needs to tell the HC that she wants to sit not ask them if she is sitting. HC will sit her in a second, we like both her coaches. Hopefully one Issue resolved but probably not.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Just based on what you have written, I completely disagree that with your statement "HC will sit her in a second". What does your DD have to do to get the message across that she hasn't already done - collapse on the field? I realize I am probably in the minority on this but I'm stepping in as parent and telling the coach she needs a rest.

Jun 24, 2013
HC will sit her if she asks or we ask.

HC coach has pitched 4 other pitchers the other <20% which is not much of an opportunity but 3 of them have never pitched before.

2 of them have not thrown a single strike during a game; I am not sure what they look like in practice.

1 of them can throw strikes but has such a big arc on the ball that if she throws a strike it doesn’t reach the C so D3K becomes a big Issue.

The last one was hitting the ground about 3’ in front of the plate but settled down a little bit and was throwing some strikes.

HC knows it is an Issue and is trying to fix both pitching and the defense. He had them playing catch for an hour at practice the other day because he was annoyed they cannot catch or throw the ball. Not sure what it accomplished but they are trying. DD had an throwing error Monday so she doesn't have clean hands either.

Play the other day was a hard ground ball to SS and it went right between her legs without her touching the ball. LF was backing her up and it went right between her legs too. :)

Edit:

The 4th P is pitching weighted balls before the game and had her mother coaching her from the stands when she pitched.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
My last thing.

DD is not a good pitcher but OK.

Another parent said a big problem last year was my DD pitched too much. Their DD has been working on pitching and told the coach no when they asked her to pitch this year and that she was not ready yet.

People are figuring out while DD is not great she is the best opinion the Team has, I wish we had better pitching and defense too.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Understood - but there is one statement in your OP that (to me) deserves more attention that anything else reagarding the team:

"DD health isn’t great, she has a lot of Issues."

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
MS ball it seems like the only outs we get is when the P strikes out a batter. HC told DD after last game that she was a 7th grader and needed to stay positive. She is pitching over 80% of the innings and I have not seen it affect her attitude but it has to be wearing on her..

My DD was on a rec team with no fielding behind her. She based how well she is doing on whether the play SHOULD have been made rather than whether it was or not. That way she can measure how well she is pitching no matter what happens behind her. One inning she came in with '8 outs' - I think that was the worst inning but I didn't see every game that season.

It helps her in travel as well when things are not going our way in the field (which doesn't happen often but occasionally 'that day' does happen)

Seems to keep her fairly even.

Jun 24, 2013
I am going to sneak this in.

DD is going to a Neurologist, a Gastritis and physical therapy twice a week for her ankle

We are happy she graduated last year let alone play SB,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan