Defense against the slapper?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
We are trying to find the exact field positions for players when a slapper comes up to bat.
We played for a travel team that brought the center fielder up behind short, moved short and third in, and filled in with right and left. It was very effective. I just need to know if anyone can direct me to the information so I can show it to some HS coaches that never heard of it. We called our travel ball coach but he is also a HS coach so I am not sure how much he will want to share.

Our HS team did nothing but slap (minus 2 or 3 batters) 2 seasons ago. We smoked almost every team we played by doing that because they didn't know how to play defense against it. Our girls knew how to set it up - just as you stated above - when a slapper came up to bat against us. That was very effective for our team. Why those other teams never caught on still remains a mystery to me! Good luck! :)

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
It depends on the slapper. I love it when I see the defense above, since my dd can power slap or hit for power. So you take away the base hit by bunting and slapping now you give her a hit over your outfield playing the above it is a triple. This only works if you are playing kids that can only bunt and slap. A good slapper will eat you up playing the above. The best defense against a good slapper is getting her out at the plate with pitching. After that you are in trouble.

Last edited:

Tangy-Mike

Tangy-Mike
Mar 23, 2010
Columbus Ohio
I agree with SBFamily (my fellow Ohioian and OFCer), my 14u team plays slappers with a straight up defense, corners tight - middle infield baseline depth. Since the slappers best advantage is speed and hitting the ball as far from 1st base as possible, we generally try and bust her with pitches up and in and down and in. The theory being she will pull it to first or second. Of course if a slapper can also hit for power, she can turn on one and get a triple - I guess that's what makes it fun.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I agree with the above.. I have seen F3 stay back towards the bag, F4 in close by the circle, F5 and F6 slightly closer than normal. Outfield moved in a little but not much.

Sep 3, 2009
It depends on the slapper. I love it when I see the defense above, since my dd can power slap or hit for power. So you take away the base hit by bunting and slapping now you give her a hit over your outfield playing the above it is a triple. This only works if you are playing kids that can only bunt and slap. A good slapper will eat you up playing the above. The best defense against a good slapper is getting her out at the plate with pitching. After that you are in trouble.

Absolutely. If they're a good slapper, moving in only takes the soft slap out of the equation. My dd will try and alternate soft and power, depending on how the def positions themselves. It's great to see the def yell "slap!" and come moving in, only to have the ball slapped over their heads. :)

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Here is what we do (HS Varsity) when a slapper comes up: our second baseman gets about even with the pitcher. First base gets back behind the bag a ways. SS and third stay about the same. It has worked well for us.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We faced one of the best high school pitchers that plays for the Laser travel organization last night in high school. They played the slap defense that we are discussing. DD was up 4 times on base 3 times with 2 SB. Only out was a SAC Bunt. Just proves these defenses don't work on a good slapper. One soft slap into the SS hole, One power slap right by second base because as posed above she was too close to react to a line drive power slap.

Tangy-Mike

Tangy-Mike
Mar 23, 2010
Columbus Ohio
Here is what we do (HS Varsity) when a slapper comes up: our second baseman gets about even with the pitcher. First base gets back behind the bag a ways. SS and third stay about the same. It has worked well for us.

What is the theory behind playing the 2B next to the pitcher? Why not play your 1B up like I am assuming you would in a SAC bunt situation. If a slapper hits the ball to a baseline depth 2B, the assumption has to be the 1B can cover. 1B should/can't be that immobile.

It just seems to me like you are leaving too much of the field exposed if they can elevate the ball over the pitcher and 2B and protecting the right field line. Just not sure, I would do that. I have seen it but never understood the strategy behind it.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
What is the theory behind playing the 2B next to the pitcher? Why not play your 1B up like I am assuming you would in a SAC bunt situation. If a slapper hits the ball to a baseline depth 2B, the assumption has to be the 1B can cover. 1B should/can't be that immobile.

It just seems to me like you are leaving too much of the field exposed if they can elevate the ball over the pitcher and 2B and protecting the right field line. Just not sure, I would do that. I have seen it but never understood the strategy behind it.

To be honest, I'm not sure why we play it like we do. The first place I'd ever seen it was on television, I believe that Japan sets up like that for slappers. Correct me if I'm wrong. Our coach worked this last year and it worked well. We've gotten a couple of folks out with it already. We get quite a few balls dumped the second baseman where she is. Our first baseman can get to the balls at baseline depth 2B, if she's too far away second is running to cover first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1