Defense against the slapper?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Tangy-Mike

Tangy-Mike
Mar 23, 2010
Columbus Ohio
To be honest, I'm not sure why we play it like we do. The first place I'd ever seen it was on television, I believe that Japan sets up like that for slappers. Correct me if I'm wrong. Our coach worked this last year and it worked well. We've gotten a couple of folks out with it already. We get quite a few balls dumped the second baseman where she is. Our first baseman can get to the balls at baseline depth 2B, if she's too far away second is running to cover first.

That's why I love the game, you just keep learning new things.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
for me it depends on what slapper gives you...... if slapper is aggressive - moving out of box too quickly, screwball-away or low-away change up might have her pulling away from the outside corner. If she can swing-away or power-slap from left side, jam her hands with LOW-IN, stay away from HIGH-IN..... (Slappers like to keep hands high and work down on soft-slap, and if they can hard-slap/power-slap, high-in and high-away might get hammered) Worse for ME is high-away, allows her full vision on the ball and easiest contact for both soft and hard slaps. IF her cross-over foot turns inward to 1B side, then low-away makes it much more difficult for her to reach the ball.
*** KEY for outfield and SS is NOT to come playing up before the pitch.... just as corners are watchinig the top hands on bunts, the OUTFIELDERS SHOULD be watching the slappers feet! (( "READ the FEET")) If the slappers back foot starts into her movement for slap, or crosses over, THEN we begin to move - but a good power slapper can take a bad pitch and drive one over an outfielders head......
- of course some of the experienced coaches are going to warn that if she is a good slapper, good chance she is a good drag-bunt, so CORNER (1B/3B) to side of plate the ball is pitched may creep quickly on crossover. **** I do NOT like 2B playinig tight on a LH slapper and if the slapper swings away or power-slaps.... you're looking to get your 2B - no reaction and quite possibly badly injured.

Jan 13, 2010
"What is the theory behind playing the 2B next to the pitcher? Why not play your 1B up like I am assuming you would in a SAC bunt situation. If a slapper hits the ball to a baseline depth 2B, the assumption has to be the 1B can cover. 1B should/can't be that immobile."

That's basically theory. The slapper is generally a fast player and being on the left side closer to first, so if you played in a cone bunt coverage, the slapper has a huge advantage hitting it between the pitcher and the 1st base playing in, as second is holding for the play and with a fast slapper will probably lose the race to the bag and if they cheat over too much they open the hole.

As others have said, a good slapper is very very hard to defend no matter what defense you play, which is why it's a highly sought after player!!! Especially ones that can hit/slap for power.

Sep 3, 2009
"What is the theory behind playing the 2B next to the pitcher? Why not play your 1B up like I am assuming you would in a SAC bunt situation. If a slapper hits the ball to a baseline depth 2B, the assumption has to be the 1B can cover. 1B should/can't be that immobile."

That's basically theory. The slapper is generally a fast player and being on the left side closer to first, so if you played in a cone bunt coverage, the slapper has a huge advantage hitting it between the pitcher and the 1st base playing in, as second is holding for the play and with a fast slapper will probably lose the race to the bag and if they cheat over too much they open the hole.

As others have said, a good slapper is very very hard to defend no matter what defense you play, which is why it's a highly sought after player!!! Especially ones that can hit/slap for power.

I wouldn't think you'd want a slapper hitting to the right side; unless of course it's the other team's slapper. Sorta defeats the purpose.

Jan 13, 2010
A good slapper can drag bunt so someone has to defend the right side small ball....again that's why good ones are so valuable...it's about hitting/slapping it where they ain't!

Nov 1, 2009
I would say it is easier to slap a ball over a drawn in 2b than it is to go right down the line. I would suggest the two outfielder approach and pitch away before I would pitch to the power (inside) with my defense on that side drawn. If you are playing a typical tournament where the field isn't as hard a rock low and away is a good strategy. If they can hit it into the ground a get a 10-12 foot high bounce concentrate on the next batter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1