Defending the walk with runner on 3rd 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
I know this is an issue that works it self out as they move up in age and I have seen many ways to defend this play, but was looking to get some additional ideas if possible:

Runner on 3rd batter at the plate gets ball 4 takes off for first and goes right to second in an attempted steal...

Defense one....Throw back to pitcher who fakes a play on runner going to second and hopes the runner on third takes off and we can steal an easy our or a short rundown then an out.

Defense two.....throw the ball to the SS.....freezes everyone but you and I both know on the very next pitch girl is off to 2nd on the steal.

Defense three.....fast throw to 2nd hoping to get a swipe tag on runner coming off of first and fire home maybe get two......

Any other ideas.....

Thanks...

Oh by the way.....hate this play and love this play both at the same time....

Mar 15, 2010
For this play I take inspiration from Bill Russell who said, "The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.". First I have my catcher get the ball back to the pitcher as quickly as possible. That forces the runner on third to commit back to the base or proceed with the steal. At 14U the runners go back to the bag. Next I have SS cover 2nd just in case and I have 2nd move about 15 feet from first. First base is verbalizing the entire time, "watching the runner, checking to see if she turns two". 2nd is waiting with her glove ready also verbalizing, "Ready for tag, ready for tag". Pitcher is watching runner to first with an intense glare saying, "watching runner". 3rd is also chattering, "watching runner on 3, watching runner on 3". Whether we can make the play successfully is questionable, making our opponents think we can make the play is not.

Dec 28, 2008
Defense 4 .... Snap the ball to first standing a few feet inside the bag so the runner will be out with 1 step towards 2 and she can see the runner from 3rd the entire time if she needs to snap it home.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Throw the ball back to the pitcher.

Jan 15, 2009
Defense 4 .... Snap the ball to first standing a few feet inside the bag so the runner will be out with 1 step towards 2 and she can see the runner from 3rd the entire time if she needs to snap it home.

As long as you realize that on the throw from 1B back to pitcher runner can take off for second. This defense does occasionally work because offensive team hasn't worked on how to counter.

IMO, 12U ball runner on third with 0 outs, probably 99% chance they score on a passed ball, wild pitch, bunt hit, .... so take the out at 2B and let the run score. With 1 out, depending on quality of defense/pitching might not take the out. With 2 outs, runners are pretty slow, I'd take the out and expect to make the out before the runner can cross the plate.

IMO it's a mistake to concede a 2nd runner to scoring position with no outs early in a game. You need to start doing damage control when you have 2 runners on and no outs. When I look back at that age I can't tell you how many times I made the mistake of conceding that runner over to 2nd (either on continuation or not throwing down on a steal with 1st and 3rd) only to watch both runners come in and still be sitting with 0 outs. The out is a lot easier to get on the continuation play than on a steal.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
We use defense #3....catcher to pitcher to 2nd baseman who moves in towrd 1st base after ball 4. 2 nd baseman cutting down 2 runners tryin to score from 3rd will stop this very quickly.

Jul 26, 2008

Dalton,

First off, visited your site and was pleasantly surprised! Your welcome message is great, and really liked the Gospel section. I couldn't agree with you more that it is imperative to prepare our young athletes for the battle between the lines but in life as well.

In regards to Defense #4, my only concern would be the batter/runner overrunning 1B by 5 feet or so, then breaking for 2B, out of reach of the first baseman who is holding the ball. Also, being that 1B has the ball R3 is free to remain off of 3B, giving her a head start.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
We run one play with two planned outcomes. After ball 4 the ball goes back to pitcher, she watches the runner on 3rd, the first baseman is in charge of yelling runner if the batter runner rounds and goes to second. My 2nd baseman is 10 -15 feet short of second. Once the 1st baseman indicates runner is going , the 2nd baseman calls for the ball, the pitcher turns and makes the throw to the 2nd baseman. Depending where we want the out we either get the girl in a run down between 1st and 2nd or go back to home if the runner breaks and we want to try and get get the out there. If it is early in the game many times I don't mind giving up the run, getting an out on the runner between 1 & 2 and clearing the bases, especially if there is already one out. Certainly don't want one or no outs out and runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Jun 3, 2010
Throw the ball back to the pitcher to freeze the runner at third then pitcher snaps a throw to the first baseman a few steps off the bag at first toward second. The batter/runner will stop. When the first baseman throws the ball back to the pitcher, the runner at first will sometimes leave the bag after the pitcher has the ball. Since she has stopped at first and the ball is now in the circle, she can't leave the bag unless the pitcher is making a play on her or another runner. You can sometimes steal an out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes