Decisions...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2012
So my DD got invited to try out for the premeire program in our home state. The team already has 80% of its roster full and just needs 3-4 more girls, so they have targeted about 10 kids they really want to come try out. I have been promised nothing, but its pretty much been suggested that she would really have to have a VERY bad day for her to not make the team. The coaches have seen her play numerous times and they want her on the team. Again nothing promised but I think if we decide to have her try out, that she will make it. This program is a REALLY good one. However here is the catch. My DD is 9 years old and this is a 12U team. A VERY VERY competitive 12U team in a great program/club. So my dd who will be a young 4th grader next year, could be facing against some girls who are much much more physically mature than she is, but also very good players too.

I know that my dd will not pitch except in some very rare occasions and the likely hood of her seen the infield more than one inning per game( if that) is not very good. As a 9 year old on this team she will probably be a CF, batting 8th or 9th. I have absolutely no problem with any of that. She loves the outfield, she and I both respect every position on the field and have appreciation for every person out there. My concern is that..........SHE IS ONLY 9 YEARS OLD! LOL.

Last year she was 7 most of the year and played 10U rec. Did well, not amazing, but still one of the teams top 5 or so players. This year , at 8, she played 10U rec and club and was a top 4 player on some VERY good teams. Next year was supposed to be her first year in the age division she is actually supposed to be playing in. She is still very much a little little girl. Next year is the first year she techincally is supposed to be playing 10U. I wanted for her to build confidence and keep working and keep having fun while learning and developing a great foundation. However, the opportunity to join this club muddies the water a little.

In addition, she is an athlete. She just made a very competitive soccer club and will be playing the fall quite a bit. She likes basketball and plays that too. If we join this program, Im not really sure she will be able to play soccer for her club team and while she would easily choose softball over soccer, she enjoys soccer. I dont want her to decide. I mean she is 9! I dont want to take these fun things away from her so she can start focusing on softball like a career decision at 9 years old.

At the end of the day, I know we are going to politely decline the invitation because of our priorities for her. However, circumstances like this really make you hope your doing whats best for your kid. Obviousy we think its best for her to play with girls her age for one year at the very least, and we think its best for her to keep playing other sports too. Not because of her future or any aspirations we have..............just because they put a smile on her face.

Our only concern is that these coaches get the wrong idea and dont welcome her back in the future when she is older. However, I guess if they cant understand out stance on this then they arent a very good fit for us anyways.

Mar 13, 2010
Tell the coaches that while you are honored you don't think socially your daughter would be up for it.

Sep 17, 2009
If they like her at 9 they'll love her at 12 :)

The jump you are describing seems way too much.

Good luck.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
To me there is a bigggg difference between a 9 year old girls and a 12 year old girls.12 year old girls are bigger and stronger.12 year old girls throw/pitch faster and hit the ball faster and harder.Let her shine with teammates close to her age.She will be 12 before you know it.

I think you are absolutely on the right track if she was mature beyond her years and already as big if not bigger than some twelve year olds and then completely dominated at 10U (not just in top 4). It sounds like both physically and emotionally she should stay right were she belongs.

I would tell the team and the organization you really think that in a year or two she would love to tryout but that you think she is not ready this year, if they keep saying she is good enough just focus on the emotional side saying that she needs to be with girls her age for now.

Now the blunt part...I am not sure without seeing for myself but if your child is the third or fourth best player on a 10U rec team she is probably not ready for 12U Premier or the Premier team is not as good/competitive as you think.

Apr 6, 2012
You keep saying in your post, "She's only 9 years old." I think you know what you want to do and that is to keep her with her age group. So, do it. There will be other opportunities.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
A 12 year old is 33% older then a 9 year old, and talk about things that are 33% more mature then your dd.

Its a tough fit for a 9 yo to be on a team with 12year olds. The other thing to consider is this. Is your dd a pitcher, if she doesn't get to pitch is this team really helping her develop?

If you are upfront and honest with the coaches, I don't think she is mature enough to play 12u and I would like her to play on a team more her age so she can pitch. Unless they see you at tourneys playing with a team that they consider similar to theirs, I don't see how anyone can hold it against you.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
SWsoftball, You are doing fine. Yes, coaches are going to pull at you, but you need to do what is best for your DD and that is playing with her age group, playing soccer and going to birthday parties.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207