Dead period extended again 8/31/20

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
Anyone know when the NCAA is voting again? Will they move the dead period to 12/1? Or maybe just let the dead period lapse, realizing most schools won't want to bear the liability of sending coaches on the road to recruit anyway?
Do not take this as the gospel. I was working with a player tonight who's a 2nd year player in the ACC. Her dad swung by and its not looking good at all. He believes everything will be shut down until spring. Time will tell

Nov 5, 2014
There was one bit of good news for the 2022's yesterday as the September 1 contact date was left intact. Rumors had been swirling for weeks of a possible move from September 1 until July 1 2021.

May 27, 2013
Just wanted to share a nice outcome during this crazy time! A 2022 from our team just verbally committed to her top choice D1 school. She was never seen in-person by the coach but we live-streamed all of our games this summer and apparently he watched them. I’ve been hearing that the coaches aren’t watching videos but in this girl’s case it made the difference!! Happy to see our efforts pay off for this player!

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Just wanted to share a nice outcome during this crazy time! A 2022 from our team just verbally committed to her top choice D1 school. She was never seen in-person by the coach but we live-streamed all of our games this summer and apparently he watched them. I’ve been hearing that the coaches aren’t watching videos but in this girl’s case it made the difference!! Happy to see our efforts pay off for this player!

Coaches are most definitely watching videos. My DD’s FieldLevel page has dozens of video views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2014
I’ve been hearing that the coaches aren’t watching videos
Coaches are most definitely watching videos.
I think you are both right. Lol The best I can tell since no coaches have ever dealt with recruiting during a pandemic with an NCAA dead period and the September 1 contact date, we are seeing different coaches with wildly different strategies. For example a team that did not watch a single inning of DD's team this summer on livestream or archived not only contacted but offered both DD and a teammate on Sept 1 but at the same time a coach who watched 10+ livestream and archived games didn't contact a single player on the team.

As soon as I think something makes sense I see an example that completely dumbfounds me.

May 27, 2013
Coaches are most definitely watching videos. My DD’s FieldLevel page has dozens of video views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was referring more to teams who are live-streaming their games. However, yes, skills videos definitely are helping as well!

Aug 6, 2013
I was referring more to teams who are live-streaming their games. However, yes, skills videos definitely are helping as well!

At this point if coaches want to recruit then wouldn’t they need to watch game videos? They have no other way to see potential recruits and who knows when they will. If coaches don’t they will be way behind the 8 ball, IMO.

May 27, 2013
At this point if coaches want to recruit then wouldn’t they need to watch game videos? They have no other way to see potential recruits and who knows when they will. If coaches don’t they will be way behind the 8 ball, IMO.

You would think! Although I’ve seen people on here post that coaches aren’t watching the live streams. I’m sure some aren’t but still think many are.

Nov 5, 2014
Dead period extended now until 9/30
Halfway through September and still no word on whether dead period will expire on 9/30 or be extended again as had been the rumor. The uncertainty is making it tough for coaches to try and figure out how to handle the 2022 class and in turn tough for the student athletes to make decisions as some schools have been aggressive and offered early but other schools are taking a wait and see approach. Would love to see the NCAA come out with a definitive statement either way to provide clarity for all involved. At this point I don't even care which direction they go just tell us what they are doing for at least the rest of the fall so coaches and athletes can make decisions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez