Dead period extended again 8/31/20

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Yup. Unfortunately the large, power-hitting, slower-running first baseman is a staple in this game. I don't really see it changing much.

I agree with you.

But if a team has a roster makeup that can afford a tall, lanky, quick and agile 1B with a great glove?
That is a HUGE advantage. Especially if your opponent has a few lefty slappers that like to drag bunt down the 1B line....

BUT... that wiry first basewoman better also rake on offense.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
If your DD wants to become an engineer D3 options maybe better. I attended Drexel and studied EE and tried to balance hockey and academic workload and it was too much. The first 2-3 years of an engineering degree require a massive amount of "Book time" and that is difficult with a 40 plus hour athletic commitment. D1 is not the end all be all that people say. It is certainly higher level ball but if an engineering degree is your DDs goal than her academics must come 1 and 1A..
Softball is a distant 3rd.

Agree with all of this.

her big Bro is entering junior year as a MechE at Lehigh.
She's seen how hard he works.

Heck, he was completely stressed Fall semester when all he added to his workload was pledging a Frat. lol

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Yup. Unfortunately the large, power-hitting, slower-running first baseman is a staple in this game. I don't really see it changing much.

If you look closely, especially at top travel, HS, and college teams, the lumbering 1B is less common than you might think. In 18U ball, I see more of that on lower level teams. On the better teams, if there's a "big" girl on 1B, she's probably also a pitcher. Yeah...power is considered important at that position in college, but if you look at someone like Shay Knighten from OU, that "big girl" stereotype takes a hit. She's only 5'6", and was a left-side infielder in HS. Div I college teams are full of pitchers, catchers, short-stops, and center-fielders. 1Bs are assigned more than recruited.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
I agree with you.

But if a team has a roster makeup that can afford a tall, lanky, quick and agile 1B with a great glove?
That is a HUGE advantage. Especially if your opponent has a few lefty slappers that like to drag bunt down the 1B line....

BUT... that wiry first basewoman better also rake on offense.

Agreed. I think if a team is fortunate to have a excellent athlete and strong hitter at first base they'd prefer that. I've seen some of the bigger girls used at pinch hitters late in games. Certainly a few roles for them.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
On the contrary, I think the live streaming of games has been an advantage for some players who have the benefit of a multitude of game footage at the coach’s disposal versus in person, maybe two at bat opportunities. We’ve see a ton of college coach traffic on the games and practices we have streamed. I think several of our players are getting exposure they wouldn’t have had previously due to the coaches ability to review archived games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming the tech is working right. We're trying our damndest (by "we," I mean my husband and one other Dad) to get AGL working this weekend. Everyone else on our team has lost interest.

Apr 28, 2014
I do like AGL in that I can search teams who's facebook page I may not know and have had luck in finding games. The problems are well documented and seem to stem from lack of server capacity. One call to Amazon web services and the problem would be solved. However the cost would skyrocket. It is a great idea in theory but needs time work through the bugs.

Nov 5, 2014
Assuming the tech is working right. We're trying our damndest (by "we," I mean my husband and one other Dad) to get AGL working this weekend. Everyone else on our team has lost interest.
Curious if you had any luck with AGL this weekend?

I have done a bunch of test runs but DD's team plays their first actual tournaments the next 2 weeks at TCS in Chattanooga then Legacy. Keeping my fingers crossed as no streaming will be awfully disappointing considering we are making the trip from NY.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
The video worked pretty well, the scoring not so much. It kept losing server connection and then wouldn't allow us to "catch up" with the scoring and it doesn't have offline scoring. My husband was hopping mad. The other Dad who agreed to help with scoring quit helping after one game. Very frustrating.

Nov 5, 2014
The video worked pretty well, the scoring not so much. It kept losing server connection and then wouldn't allow us to "catch up" with the scoring and it doesn't have offline scoring. My husband was hopping mad. The other Dad who agreed to help with scoring quit helping after one game. Very frustrating.

It seems like this has been the general consensus. Streaming works fairly well but scoring is a lost cause for now. What many teams are doing (at the request of college coaches) is providing commentary to help them identify who is playing where and know who made each play. Also helps to send the coaches a copy of your team profile sheet. That is our current plan. Just have not decided if I will even bother trying to score using AGL.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Just have not decided if I will even bother trying to score using AGL.

Don't bother and save yourself the frustration.

It's abundantly clear that this software was developed in a controlled, optimized bubble.
Probably worked great when they tested it in the office park!

The inherent coding problem is this: Every scoring "action" (ball, strike, foul, hit, etc) requires communication with the AGL servers. ( wow. I said "servers" plural, but that is a bold assumption. lol). There is absolutely no built-in contingency for slow, sporadic, or lost connections. And they have a giant "scalability" issue on their server-side of things, to boot.

I can score an entire game in Gamechanger, without an active internet connection, and still upload it to the Gamechanger server later when connection is restored. (even back at the hotel, if necessary....) And I can video record a game to an ipad and have it saved locally, without relying upon a live internet connection.

This seems like common-sense to me!
How did they botch it so badly? The (softball) world is their oyster right now. And they are blowing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2