Dead period extended again 8/31/20

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
Don't bother and save yourself the frustration.

It's abundantly clear that this software was developed in a controlled, optimized bubble.
Probably worked great when they tested it in the office park!

The inherent coding problem is this: Every scoring "action" (ball, strike, foul, hit, etc) requires communication with the AGL servers. ( wow. I said "servers" plural, but that is a bold assumption. lol). There is absolutely no built-in contingency for slow, sporadic, or lost connections. And they have a giant "scalability" issue on their server-side of things, to boot.

I can score an entire game in Gamechanger, without an active internet connection, and still upload it to the Gamechanger server later when connection is restored. (even back at the hotel, if necessary....) And I can video record a game to an ipad and have it saved locally, without relying upon a live internet connection.

This seems like common-sense to me!
How did they botch it so badly? The (softball) world is their oyster right now. And they are blowing it.

My understanding is that to get the stream to archive you at least need to open the scoring and end the game when complete to trick the system into archiving it. Can anyone confirm this or is it possible just to stream the game and upon ending the stream have the video archive.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
My understanding is that to get the stream to archive you at least need to open the scoring and end the game when complete to trick the system into archiving it. Can anyone confirm this or is it possible just to stream the game and upon ending the stream have the video archive.

Yes, we have been starting the video portion, and starting the scoring portion (on a separate device). I record one fictitious pitch with a generic lineup (why waste the time setting that up?). Then I leave AGL running, and stick my iphone in my pocket until the game has ended. Then I end the scoring portion of the AGL, as well as the video stream.

Nov 5, 2014
with a generic lineup (why waste the time setting that up?).
I was going to put our lineup in so that college coaches can look at it if they want, but otherwise going to follow your exact procedure as well and score on gamechanger.

Nov 19, 2018
DD is 5'11" 140# and loves playing 1B and is pretty dang awesome there.
BUT... most rosters have "larger girls" that are un-athletic,
and guess where most coaches try and hide that type of player on defense?
(especially if that "larger girl" can mash the ball on offense...)

But recently with her travel club, the regular 1B sustained an injury, and DD got her shot and has really excelled there.
Making outs that others would not have made. (especially balls in foul territory, and errant, off target trows to her from the infield...)
She now splits time there, and is very thankful!
But she still loves playing LF as well.

She is a 2021 and un-committed.
Her college goals are to play, but also wants to attend a top engineering school.
D1 is a recruiting long-shot at this point, but her top choices are DIII anyway.
(she does have some good DIII prospects in the works, but needs to apply and gain admissions first)
I hope a serious resurgence does not nix fall recruiting tournaments,
or I'm not too sure how it's going to happen for her.

With DI/DII "dead" until Sept 01,
I wonder what Pennsbury Academic camp, and/or Headfirst Honor Roll Camp will look like?
(or if they will even take place)
I suppose if they are crawling with rabid DIII coaches representing schools on her list, it won't be a letdown for us at all,
but we were hoping for opportunity to turn a few DI heads at these events this summer...

I coach a showcase team and we are still doing showcase tournaments even though not many coaches are coming. Seeing some but not many D3 and JUCO schools. We have resorted to taking video of every game and giving the players access to the video so they can email it to coaches. We will also have pitchers throw bullpens at practice and she can send that to a prospective coach. We have even gone as far as facetiming a coach so she could watch the player take BP. New world we are in and you have to be creative. Have to be contacting coaches on your own. you can't wait for them to come find you.

Feb 17, 2015
USA
DD is 5'11" 140# and loves playing 1B and is pretty dang awesome there.
BUT... most rosters have "larger girls" that are un-athletic,
and guess where most coaches try and hide that type of player on defense?
(especially if that "larger girl" can mash the ball on offense...)

But recently with her travel club, the regular 1B sustained an injury, and DD got her shot and has really excelled there.
Making outs that others would not have made. (especially balls in foul territory, and errant, off target trows to her from the infield...)
She now splits time there, and is very thankful!
But she still loves playing LF as well.

She is a 2021 and un-committed.
Her college goals are to play, but also wants to attend a top engineering school.
D1 is a recruiting long-shot at this point, but her top choices are DIII anyway.
(she does have some good DIII prospects in the works, but needs to apply and gain admissions first)
I hope a serious resurgence does not nix fall recruiting tournaments,
or I'm not too sure how it's going to happen for her.

With DI/DII "dead" until Sept 01,
I wonder what Pennsbury Academic camp, and/or Headfirst Honor Roll Camp will look like?
(or if they will even take place)
I suppose if they are crawling with rabid DIII coaches representing schools on her list, it won't be a letdown for us at all,
but we were hoping for opportunity to turn a few DI heads at these events this summer...

I highly recommend the HC at MIT. She recruited my daughter when she was at Ripon College. If you could land on her radar that would be a good option for a great education and a competitive softball environment

Jul 31, 2015
Anyone know when the NCAA is voting again? Will they move the dead period to 12/1? Or maybe just let the dead period lapse, realizing most schools won't want to bear the liability of sending coaches on the road to recruit anyway?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying