Dead Balls and Earned Runs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
Assuming R1 started on 1B and the impetus of the batted ball caused the deflection into DBT, this is a 2 base award from the time of the pitch. No run should have scored.

Then in this case, the officials must've got it wrong. The ball was a fairly line-driven hit that the LF went to catch. The ball went off the top of her glove, deflected at an angle toward the ground and rolled about 30 feet or so through foul territory into dead-ball territory. This was from 4 games ago in our schedule, and given the fact that we're 0-7 currently (out of 10 games in the schedule), I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have had a major effect regardless of the type of run it ends up being. I just like having my stats as official and thorough as possible for my girls.

Jul 26, 2015
The Ump have told us that if it is in dead ball territory, you need to just KEEP running until he/she says stop. They can put someone back on base if needed or is necessary. The Umps will decide if that run or runs were earned or not.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When you say that the ball went off of the tip of her glove, was it a "typical" play or was she on the run? Was it a tough play or did this girl simply misjudge a ball most people would catch?

Jun 1, 2015
When you say that the ball went off of the tip of her glove, was it a "typical" play or was she on the run? Was it a tough play or did this girl simply misjudge a ball most people would catch?

My LF for this game is my shortest player. When the ball was hit, she had to run about, I'd say, 15 feet to make the catch from the line-drive hit, it skimmed the top of her glove as she jumped to stop it, and that's when it hit her glove and was angled toward DB territory. Had she been a half-foot taller, it would've been your routine line-drive fly-out at head level, but for my LF, she had to jump to get it, and my guess is that she either opened/closed too soon, or didn't get the glove up in time, 'cause it skimmed right off the top of the glove.

Jul 6, 2013

But according to the NCAA scoring rules I've seen, a misjudged ball shouldn't be ruled as an error???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1