DD's team gets smacked

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2009
Michael N - We see that a lot here too. In fact we faced a team a few weeks ago and beat them twice. They were all 2nd year 14U kids and they and their parents were not happy losing to a bunch of kids. In fact as the girls were going through the line after words the other team was saying "good game too bad you have not hit puberty yet". I laughed my butt off when I heard that because it really makes them look foolish as they were beat by these kids who "have not hit puberty yet".:)
I still don't understand why a coach would not want his kids to face the competition that they will be seeing in the spring and challenge their kids. To hang around for one more trophy is gutless. We also have some tourneys that are named "First Timers" tournaments and I swear several coaches look for those so they can completely dismantle teams. It stinks but it happens. Some think wins and loses make all difference. I would rather be 10-10 against 14U then 19-1 against 12U if I had all '98's and are playing fall ball. JMO though.

Jul 9, 2010
Pick up player rules in Florida, and in the Fall especially, are practically non-existent. Use of pick-up players is very common, and is extremely annoying. But, you play on, like everything else.

Joe - my first team, a 1st year 12U (mostly 11 year olds) started in the Fall, and played against 15 year olds who should have moved up, like what you experienced. We took some beatings that fall. The girls were great, though, and loved the speed of the game (were all coming from LL at that time). They were troopers, and were very motivated to work hard.

All of the kids from that original team, who are still playing softball, are either in college now, or are seniors in HS and just signed their NLIs last week.

Stings a little at the time, but I always thought it was good to push, and the girls responded well to it - better than their parents in most cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1