DD's Swing...looking for opinions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Ya. Just get the barrel quick into the zone, it's not a fault in her swing, just something to continue to progress. Gotta go. Looks like a hard hitting girl!
ken2_zps6230f635.gif

Out at the cabin so no pc to post media, but look at Lexie in the post that RDbass posted. When her hands are at the same spot as your dd's in this still frame, it is the 2nd maybe 3rd frame that her barrel is in the zone. Your dd's barrel is still pointing straight back. Think of how much longer she would have to look at a pitch when in the zone that much earlier. The best benefit is that when they work on getting the barrel turned right into the zone, the rear hip gets ahead of the hands and pulls.

Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for all the replies, it is appreciated. Now, can someone explain turning the barrel to me, not sure I grasp the concept. Also, RDbass, can you slow down the vid you posted below my DD's swing so I can get a better look at it, maybe it will help me figure all this out. I can see that her bat is pointed at the pitcher, is that why her swing is "pushy". if her hands were behind her hips would that help with her getting the barrel turned? Help getting the bat in the zone longer?

Thanks for the help.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
greg, I'm not so much a "turn" the barrel guy as I am a "load" the barrel guy. To me there are extremes. There is the extreme "turners" and the extreme "pullers". Extreme turners like to turn the barrel first, without caring where the handle needs to be. Extreme pullers, drag the knob to where the handle needs to be, then try to turn the barrel late.

Your daughter is very good at getting the handle to where it needs to be. It's my belief that if she learned to put the barrel in a position from the top of her hand-set, where all she needed to do was load the barrel at GO, she would crush and be quick.

May 3, 2014
I like the action of her front leg - but it looks like her hips are rotating too early and it could be because her back leg is not doing its part in creating enough stretch between the legs/hips/lower back. I tell some of my hitters to leave the back knee in place a little longer. Leave the front leg alone. I would be interested in how that improves the hand path since it looks like right now the swing gets a little long.

There was a swing in white where she looked a little lungey when she mis timed the ball - it is from the back leg not staying back. If it learns to stay back the hitter will end up squatting more on off speed as an adjustment.

Jan 13, 2010
Thanks Again for all the input. Sorry I am not catching on to a lot of what everyone is saying, turn the barrel, load the barrel, slot the elbow...its all pretty new to me. but I a starting to read past threads to help me understand. She is a pitcher, an this past year is the first year she has put in a lot of time on her hitting. As I said she hits well, We are just looking to get her better and the sooner I can get up to speed with the terms, the sooner, I hope, I can help her.

The main phrases she hears from her coaches, and me, are hands first, get you hands to the ball, don't circle the ball..that's all I can think of right now. From my limited understanding of her swing and what she needs to work on, if she just released her hands(let her wrists go) sooner help. Doesn't she just hold her wrist angle to long?

I love that one of you slowed a swing down of her, Thanks a lot!!. I've watched it quite a few times and it looks like she gets some barrel load, I can see she need a bit more to get the knob pointed between the catchers feet, but it looks like she is pretty close. I have always thought that her hits to LF is from just always being late...and she swears they always pitch her outside. But I am guessing from every ones input, she just need to figure out how to get the barrel in the zone sooner.

Thanks again for all the help

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414