DD's Swing...looking for opinions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2010
Hello all, DD (14) has been working on her swing this year. She is a good hitter, just looking for ideas, opinions on what to work on next. Here are some swings from a camp a few weeks back.

[video=youtube_share;nwzmogIq1FE]http://youtu.be/nwzmogIq1FE[/video]

Thanks

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Hello all, DD (14) has been working on her swing this year. She is a good hitter, just looking for ideas, opinions on what to work on next. Here are some swings from a camp a few weeks back.

[video=youtube_share;nwzmogIq1FE]http://youtu.be/nwzmogIq1FE[/video]

Thanks

A lot to like. I am trying to make a gif before my fishing buddies get here to pick me up for the weekend. I suspect I am going to just say to work on active hands getting the barrel behind the ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see a lot of good things going on in her swing! The area of improvement that jumps out at me first would be to get her using her back side better - pulling with the back side.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Ya. Just get the barrel quick into the zone, it's not a fault in her swing, just something to continue to progress. Gotta go. Looks like a hard hitting girl!
ken_zps84e9b3e3.gif

ken2_zps6230f635.gif

Jan 13, 2010
Redhotcoach....I think you hit the nail on the head. about 85% of her hits are to left field. Glad there isn't a fault in her swing causing this. So, how does she work on getting the barrel in the zone quicker? faster hands...start the swing sooner..let the hands go sooner.

Thanks

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
ken_zps84e9b3e3.gif

Your DD's swing is 'beside' her not 'behind' her. Looks a little 'pushy' to me. Looks like your DD slots her rear elbow then swings. Needs to 'turn the barrel to the ball' with her hands.
Turn the barrel right now:
lexieulllaunch1_zps6c1ca5b3.gif

Hit behind the ball:
lexiehippulled_zps90b45981.gif

Try a little of this:
TeeDrillRH.gif

JMHO.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
greg, it looks like you're DD's got experience. Am I right? The question is, how willing are you/she to make changes?

If you are. Along the lines of what these other guys are saying, I'd consider changing her handset to #3:

Bat Position (Slot)
There are several bat slots seen in MLB player.
•1. 45 slot is the barrel half way between the shoulder and the helmet with the barrel behind the player.
•2. The 90 slot is a vertical slot with the barrel pointing to the sky. This is called a “weightless bat”as there is no downward pull force on the hands.
3. The “helmet splitting slot”is seen to bisect the helmet from the catcher’s view.
•4. The “tipped slot (minus 15 slot)”has the barrel outside the helmet and pointed to the pitcher or to the oppo gap. Sheffield and Julio Frank would be examples.
•5. The “moving slot”is a player starting in the 45 slot, moving the barrel to vertical or beyond during the hip coil and having the barrel enter the swing plane as the barrel transitions back near the rear shoulder.

Point the knob between the catcher feet at the top. From this position, she will be more prone to loading the barrel naturally @ GO.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
ken_zps84e9b3e3.gif

your dd's swing is 'beside' her not 'behind' her. Looks a little 'pushy' to me. Looks like your dd slots her rear elbow then swings. Needs to 'turn the barrel to the ball' with her hands.
Turn the barrel right now:
lexieulllaunch1_zps6c1ca5b3.gif

hit behind the ball:
lexiehippulled_zps90b45981.gif

try a little of this:
teedrillrh.gif

jmho.

Like!
Like!
Like!

Latest posts

Members online