DD's swing from the left

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for the reply phreak. She used to think "squish the bug" and did spin. From reading this forum I have her think more of moving the left hip to hit the ball and it has seem to help her with rotation.

Jan 13, 2010
Latest clip of DD hitting. I should have a live pitch video up later today/night.

please feel free to comment. She hit Left all fall season and did OK.

[video=youtube_share;sTL8zMCdPow]http://youtu.be/sTL8zMCdPow[/video]

R

RayR

Pretty good! I see a little forward by coil action...shoulder doesn't blow out early....

Try this cue....tell her to show the numbers on her back to the pitcher....see if that will create a little more inward turn of the front shoulder....tell her that she should show her numbers when knee is at its highest point....not before....late as possible....use her back to do this...not her shoulders....

it wouldnt hurt her development from the left side if she did some slapping....not for game use....just as a way to stretch out those muscles a bit in her back and hips....twisting....

Nice work!

Jan 13, 2010
MYS

Thanks for the comment. SHe is working on slapping, she wants to slap, but right now every team thinks she will slap so her hitting away works great.

May 16, 2010
Latest clip of DD hitting. I should have a live pitch video up later today/night.

She needs to work on bracing the front leg more. She gets from load, to the front foot well, but then she doesn't "stay back." As soon as the front foot gets weighted you need to block the forward momentum and straighten that leg. You should have a sensation that you are moving backwards, even though you're really just bracing to keep the head centered.

The back leg should NEVER straighten, and the head should not go forward. In a good swing, the pressure goes from back foot, to front foot, and then ends on the back foot. At contact, no weight is on the back foot, but the follow through should put your weight back on it.

Notice how he braces with the front leg, keeping his head back, and how he kind of sits back after hitting the ball, and his back leg never straightens.

Bonds756.gif

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia

Like jbooth said, look at her front leg at contact. She needs to learn how to straighten it to gain a firm front side to hit off of. (this slow motion video is easy to stop at contact around the 7 sec mark)

Also look at her hand/bat position at contact. Her front forearm (right arm in her case) should be lined up close to straight in line with the bat. She has her hands too far in front of the bat and is losing alot of power. Her forearm to bat angle is almost the same at contact as it is at launch, so she isn't getting any "bat whip" in her swing. Proper hand/ arm position would have the front forearm in line with the bat (perpendicular to the pitch) and the rear arm at a 90* angle to both, extending into contact. Look at the video of Bonds to see the difference.

Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for commenting. Heres live pitch, well, me pitching from front with a lite flite from about 30'.

[video=youtube_share;8QDrKsaG6fs]http://youtu.be/8QDrKsaG6fs[/video]

i see what you mean about her front forarm....BUT...how to I get her to fix it. Thanks.

R

RayR

Greg, there are a couple of cues you can try.....show the first swing in this clip and explain that the front elbow should get as far back to at least her belly button to load ...or you an emphasize more front shoulder turning down and in....or you can tell her to show the numbers on her back to the pitcher...or you can tell her that her rear elbow should poke out behind her back so the pitcher can see it....

Anything to get her to have more inward turn of the upper body by foot strike....

Oct 25, 2009
As far as arm position, while she is in launch position put a ball in her rear hand and ask her if she would throw from there. Of course, she wouldn't. Now put the hand in the right throwing position for a long throw. Then replace the ball with the bat. Make her start from that position each time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1