DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
The point of the pendulum is once the barrel gets below the hands you can’t get it back. No one gets the bat on plane early. They get the hands on plane early. And keep the barrel out plane until they release or launch their swing. When you say stuff like this, people stop listening. Just sayin. You are not making sense.

Are you really comparing the HR derby to a game? Do you think the intent is the same? You do know there is a clock right? They are trying to hit as many HRs as they can in a time window right? Would that make you tired? LOL dude. Do you think that every pro is swinging for HRs in the game? Have you not heard pros say they don’t want to ‘MESS UP’ their swings in the HR derby???Once again, when you say stuff like this you are not making sense. Just sayin.
And again, you prove you don't understand.

Jul 29, 2013
So is her sequence out of wack or her front leg ? If she was your student who could hit the fb and off-speed how would you address her potential for knee problems ?
Front leg is out of wack. She plants it in the dirt with toes facing the catcher, puts her weight on it, and then torques her body against it forcing it to rotate while planted. The knee joint isn't made for that. That rotation should happen in the hip prior to the foot plant. She pushes hard against that front leg creating a rearward offset thrust against her pelvis and that helps her take slack out of her core and generate a more powerful turn.
The knee isn't oriented in the plane of that thrust and so there's a torque applied to the knee joint.
Address the issue by externally rotating / opening the front leg before foot plant.

Jul 29, 2013
I agree with you on the importance of early bat speed. Not sure why you assumed I didn't. @Work=wins and I have discussed(ok argued :LOL:) this before. I just feel that the hands/wrists/forearms are part of doing that.
That rant was misdirected and you were caught in the crossfire.
I hear what you're sing about the hands etc. I just don't agree that the hands are capable of doing anything more than holding the bat. The wrists can flex, deviate, or rotate, and the forms are controlled by the biceps and triceps so they can extend or retract, but I think the major movers if the rearward arc are the upper arms and their movements created by the lats and rhomboids. The front humerus gets extended and abducted while the rear arm is adducted. These movements create torque on the handle of the bat and the resulting rearward arc of the barrel. The other forearm, wrists, and hands are along for the ride.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Front leg is out of wack. She plants it in the dirt with toes facing the catcher, puts her weight on it, and then torques her body against it forcing it to rotate while planted. The knee joint isn't made for that. That rotation should happen in the hip prior to the foot plant. She pushes hard against that front leg creating a rearward offset thrust against her pelvis and that helps her take slack out of her core and generate a more powerful turn.
The knee isn't oriented in the plane of that thrust and so there's a torque applied to the knee joint.
Address the issue by externally rotating / opening the front leg before foot plant.

So your advice would be to stretch the core forward like she already does but focus on opening up front hip joint to remove the stress on the knee ? I am not an expert in the medical field but if she can do it without effecting the sequence and yet stay healthy it might be worth a shot.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I see it and teach it more as a change in barrel direction synced with the stretching/contracting obliques vs an attempt to turn supinate the rear forearm to torque the barrel.

I390asg.gif

9g62ozt.gif

3FP2Ggi.gif

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
So your advice would be to stretch the core forward like she already does but focus on opening up front hip joint to remove the stress on the knee ? I am not an expert in the medical field but if she can do it without effecting the sequence and yet stay healthy it might be worth a shot.
Josh Donaldson does it but her coach doesn't appreciate Donladson's swing.

Jul 29, 2013
Bobby,

There are proven pro instructors and pros that advocate the very same thing I do. You really should go explore what you can; the hands are very involved in the swing.
Yes, hands are important. Other ways of holding the bat could prove problematic.o_O

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414